how to clean my imac?
    How should clean my imac? i was a former pc user and recently switched to mac. I was looking for the tools I usually used in my pc like disk cleanup and defragment, do mac also have similar tools? do they need to be clean up or defragment?

imac 21 inch
    mac Os X 10.6.7
    HD info capacity 999.86GB available 799.62 GB

hey....im been using cleanmymac software and this is awesome...u must try that..

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, Sierra
    Quote Originally Posted by johnphillip View Post
    How should clean my imac? i was a former pc user and recently switched to mac. I was looking for the tools I usually used in my pc like disk cleanup and defragment, do mac also have similar tools? do they need to be clean up or defragment?
    The best cleanup and maintenance tool for your Mac is free. Download and install OnyX. Read the help file and follow directions.

Stay aware from all others especially MacKeeper and Clean My Mac. They both do more harm than good. A defrag tool is not necessary under ordinary conditions.

okay thanks for the replies i just need more confirmation who is better OnyX or the clean my mac

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Specs:
    Late 2015 5K 27-inch Retina iMac, 4GHz i7, 32GB RAM, 1TB Flash Drive, El Capitan, 10.11.6
    Without doubt (in my view anyway), OnyX! Apart from being free and regularly updated, if you follow the simple instructions, it does a great job and, vitally, appears not to damage, delete or otherwise mess up your system.

Reading previous Forum contributions on this subject, it does seem to be a popular, favourite app across the Mac fraternity.

Ian

Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by johnphillip View Post

imac 21 inch
    mac Os X 10.6.7
    HD info capacity 999.86GB available 799.62 GB
    Maintenance on the Mac is not the same as it is on Windows. For the most part, the machine is self-maintaining, particularly if you leave it turned on all the time.

Don't try to apply the habits you've picked up on Windows to the Mac as the two work completely differently. Although the suggestions you've received have been pretty good for the most part, running these programs too often can actually slow your machine down.

I like to use the old adage "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Quote Originally Posted by thanhdao View Post
    hey....im been using cleanmymac software and this is awesome...u must try that..
    CleanMyMac is garbage and mostly irrelevant since there are a plethora of free tools that actually work.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Specs:
    Imac 27", 3.3GHz, 512 flash storage, 16GB memory, macOS Sierra.
    Must be selling CleanMyMac to actually recommend it!
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Moved to Spain in 2000 after enforced early retirement and a bad divorce
    Specs:
    iMac24,iMac27,iMac21.5-i3,iPhone4-32gb,iTouch3.32gb,iPad1,Apple TV,iPodClassic160gbx2
    Quote Originally Posted by IWT View Post
    Without doubt (in my view anyway), OnyX! Apart from being free and regularly updated, if you follow the simple instructions, it does a great job and, vitally, appears not to damage, delete or otherwise mess up your system.

Reading previous Forum contributions on this subject, it does seem to be a popular, favourite app across the Mac fraternity.

Ian
    Thanks for this guyz !

I had been flirting with getting that 'Ēlean my Mac' program - and am glad I didn't !!
    I used Onyx on 3 of my iMacs yesterday, and am pleased to report that some little glitches I had have now been sorted !

You have to be suspicious of programs -- allegedly trumpeted as 'FREE'- which aren't anything of the kind, once you have installed the trial program etc !!
    Live each day as it comes - it may be your last !?

Specs:
    Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
    I tried clean my mac after a friend recommended it to me and i didn't really research it and it slowed my computer way down. I use onyx now and I like it a lot better. There is not really any matinence with the mac at all, I was used to windows a year ago and am happy that I switched.

Thread Information