New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

how to clean my imac?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

johnphillip

johnphillip is on a distinguished road

How should clean my imac? i was a former pc user and recently switched to mac. I was looking for the tools I usually used in my pc like disk cleanup and defragment, do mac also have similar tools? do they need to be clean up or defragment?

imac 21 inch
mac Os X 10.6.7
HD info capacity 999.86GB available 799.62 GB
QUOTE Thanks
thanhdao

thanhdao is on a distinguished road

hey....im been using cleanmymac software and this is awesome...u must try that..
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnphillip View Post
How should clean my imac? i was a former pc user and recently switched to mac. I was looking for the tools I usually used in my pc like disk cleanup and defragment, do mac also have similar tools? do they need to be clean up or defragment?
The best cleanup and maintenance tool for your Mac is free. Download and install OnyX. Read the help file and follow directions.

Stay aware from all others especially MacKeeper and Clean My Mac. They both do more harm than good. A defrag tool is not necessary under ordinary conditions.
QUOTE Thanks
johnphillip

johnphillip is on a distinguished road

okay thanks for the replies i just need more confirmation who is better OnyX or the clean my mac
QUOTE Thanks
IWT

Location: Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
IWT is a jewel in the roughIWT is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2010 27" iMac 16GB RAM, SSD & 1TB IHD (Lion) + 2013 27" iMac Fusion SSD & 3TB IHD, 32GB (Mavericks)

Without doubt (in my view anyway), OnyX! Apart from being free and regularly updated, if you follow the simple instructions, it does a great job and, vitally, appears not to damage, delete or otherwise mess up your system.

Reading previous Forum contributions on this subject, it does seem to be a popular, favourite app across the Mac fraternity.

Ian
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnphillip View Post

imac 21 inch
mac Os X 10.6.7
HD info capacity 999.86GB available 799.62 GB
Maintenance on the Mac is not the same as it is on Windows. For the most part, the machine is self-maintaining, particularly if you leave it turned on all the time.

Don't try to apply the habits you've picked up on Windows to the Mac as the two work completely differently. Although the suggestions you've received have been pretty good for the most part, running these programs too often can actually slow your machine down.

I like to use the old adage "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanhdao View Post
hey....im been using cleanmymac software and this is awesome...u must try that..
CleanMyMac is garbage and mostly irrelevant since there are a plethora of free tools that actually work.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Must be selling CleanMyMac to actually recommend it!

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
pedropete

Location: Moved to Spain in 2000 after enforced early retirement and a bad divorce
pedropete can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: iMac24,iMac27,iMac21.5-i3,iPhone4-32gb,iTouch3.32gb,iPad1,Apple TV,iPodClassic160gbx2

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWT View Post
Without doubt (in my view anyway), OnyX! Apart from being free and regularly updated, if you follow the simple instructions, it does a great job and, vitally, appears not to damage, delete or otherwise mess up your system.

Reading previous Forum contributions on this subject, it does seem to be a popular, favourite app across the Mac fraternity.

Ian
Thanks for this guyz !

I had been flirting with getting that 'Çlean my Mac' program - and am glad I didn't !!
I used Onyx on 3 of my iMacs yesterday, and am pleased to report that some little glitches I had have now been sorted !

You have to be suspicious of programs -- allegedly trumpeted as 'FREE'- which aren't anything of the kind, once you have installed the trial program etc !!

Live each day as it comes - it may be your last !?
QUOTE Thanks
rabbitjetta

rabbitjetta is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" Retina Pro, iPhone 5, iPad 4, iPod touch 3-5, iMac 27

I tried clean my mac after a friend recommended it to me and i didn't really research it and it slowed my computer way down. I use onyx now and I like it a lot better. There is not really any matinence with the mac at all, I was used to windows a year ago and am happy that I switched.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« IMac 27, SD stuck in DVD drive. | upgrade ram yourself or through apple? »