New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Which Mini mac to get?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Macatastic

Macatastic is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" 3.06 i3 4gb, MacBook Pro 13" 2.4 i5 4gb, iPad2 32GB 3G black, iPhone 4S 16GB black

I am looking to get a Mac Mini for work, and am looking at the specs.

If I get the dual hard drive version, is it thicker? ie, taller?

If I get the server version, can I run it as a standalone machine to start with, and then have it in server mode for 2/3 terminals later?

All help much appreciated

Pete
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

Don't know much about specs, but these are still running old C2D processors. If you can, I would wait to see if they get a refresh soon to the i-series processors.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Which Mini to get?...there's really not that many models to choose from...so the decision shouldn't be too difficult.

Regarding the hard drives. With the dual hard drive version/the server version...the optical drive (DVD/CD drive) is removed & a 2nd hard drive installed. So no...it wouldn't be thicker.

Also (IMHO) I wouldn't get the server "Mac-Mini" (two hard drives)...since it doesn't even have the slot cut into the housing to insert a DVD/CD disk...if at some later time you wanted to install an optical drive (requiring the removal of one of the hard drives).

I would simply buy the non-server Mac-Mini...remove the optical drive...and then install a 2nd HD (may need some sort of install kit). Then you could always switch back to the optical drive later if you wanted to.

Of course this really depends on your needs & how much "tinkering" you do with your computers. And of course...if you NEED a server...then the Mac-Mini server version comes loaded with the Snow Leopard Server software. Just realize that the Mac-Mini server has no CD/DVD drive.

HTH,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

If you want the dual drive/server mini, you are better off getting a USB optical drive if you want/need the optical drive, not buying the base mini and swapping it for a 2nd drive.

But, setting up the Server mini is a complete PITA. The restore media is on DVDs, not a USB drive like the driveless Air. Plus the drives aren't set up in a RAID from the factory, they are set up as 2 separate drives.

And if you want to install plain Snow Leopard (not Server) you have to trick it. Use a computer that can install SL, and put the Server in Target Disk mode, and install, then update, before you can actually boot the Mini on its own. All this hard work because the retail SL doesn't come with a new enough version of SL.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
If you want the dual drive/server mini, you are better off getting a USB optical drive if you want/need the optical drive, not buying the base mini and swapping it for a 2nd drive.
Yes...this is probably a better solution in the long run. Just slightly more money for the external optical drive.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Macatastic

Macatastic is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" 3.06 i3 4gb, MacBook Pro 13" 2.4 i5 4gb, iPad2 32GB 3G black, iPhone 4S 16GB black

Thanks for the info.

I think, having read your replies, I just need the standard Mini with the optical drive.

Is the Mini due an update? Everything else has had one

Pete
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« new 1tb passport ex hd | New or refurbished Imac? »