New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

New or refurbished Imac?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MattO1986

MattO1986 is on a distinguished road

Hi Guys,

I'm looking to buy my first Mac and was looking at the IMac, mainly for music production. I can't really spend more than £1000 and was wondering what your suggestions were on these options...
Either I buy the new IMac with the following specs:

21.5-inch: 2.5GHz
2.5GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
1920 x 1080 resolution
4GB (two 2GB) memory
500GB hard drive1
AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 512MB

or a refurbished iMac 21.5-inch 3.06GHz Intel Core i3 processor which is a bit cheaper:

Originally released July 2010
21.5-inch LED-backlit glossy widescreen display
4GB memory
500GB hard drive
8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
ATI Radeon HD 4670 graphics with 256MB memory
Built-in iSight camera

Which would offer best performance and experience? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

MUCH better graphics hardware on the new model...and it has a quad-core processor.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
bentharbour

bentharbour has a spectacular aura about

Yeah, if you want to save some bucks on the refurb...it might be best to wait until some of the new ones get listed as refurbs (who knows how long that will take - I typically see a 4-7 month turnaround). Those new iMacs are monsters.

That is if you can wait, of course. If you must buy now, the consensus around here is: buy the best machine you can afford at the time you need the computer.

 15" MBPr (2012): 2.3Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, 256 GB SSD  24" Apple Cinema Display  iPhone 5 16GB Black  iPad 2 16GB White
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

I'm kind of in the same boat. I'm looking at a refurb quad core i5 2.66 27" that's only $1,350 including tax and shipping. I'd really like to get the current gen 2.7 sandybridge beast, but I don't think I can justify the extra $350+ since I don't think I would really take advantage of all that beastlyness. I think I'd rather spend the $350 on more RAM and maybe even install a SSD, which should bring up performance quite a bit on its own.

Best thing to do is look at what you use your computer for and will use it for over the next 2 years at least. If you don't see yourself doing anything really wild, then go for the less expensive option. I really wanted to go all out and buy a new iMac, but after taking a good hard look at my needs and what I can do with the extra $$, I just don't think it's reasonable. Your situation may be different, of course.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Which Mini mac to get? | my MB pro boots up slow when i installed a new HD »