Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1


    Member Since
    May 11, 2011
    Posts
    3
    Mac suddenly running slow...
    My iMac has recently started to run slow. With virtually every request I get the spinning beachball, this after nearly 2 years with no problems whatsoever. I have updated all software to try to resolve the problem, but to no effect. I also downloaded a troubleshooting list from the internet and have tried the following...
    - Reboot
    - Clean caches
    - Delete .plist files
    - Repaired disk permissions
    - Reset PRAM
    - Run file system check

    Now with this last one, I got the following error message...

    ** /dev/rdisk0s2
    ** Root file system
    ** Checking journaled hfs plus volume
    ** Checking extents overflow file
    ** Checking catalogue file
    Disk0s2: I/O error
    Invalid node structure (4, 91)
    ** Volume check failed
    /dev/rdisk0s2 (hfs) EXITED WITH SIGNAL 8

    After trying to run the file system check a few times without success I tried to restart, and my computer wouldn't restart again until the 4th attempt. Does anyone know what this message may be indicating, and whether its possible for me to resolve the issues I'm having? Any suggestion will be very welcome.

    (By the way I have an Intel Core 2 Duo iMac, 2.8GHz processor, 4GB memory.)

    Many regards,

    Leon

  2. #2

    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    35,735
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    A couple other things to consider:

    - how full is your hard drive (gigs used & gigs free)
    - you hard drive could be failing (if so, back up the important stuff or everything, and install a new HD)

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  3. #3


    Member Since
    May 11, 2011
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    A couple other things to consider:

    - how full is your hard drive (gigs used & gigs free)
    - you hard drive could be failing (if so, back up the important stuff or everything, and install a new HD)

    - Nick
    Hi Nick,

    The Mac HD info tells me the 465.44GB capacity; 56.53Gb available; 408.91GB used. I don't put any files on there thankfully, just programs. All other files are saved onto externals. And before you ask, the computer still runs slow when all extraneous drives are unmounted.

  4. #4

    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    35,735
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon100 View Post
    Hi Nick,

    The Mac HD info tells me the 465.44GB capacity; 56.53Gb available; 408.91GB used. I don't put any files on there thankfully, just programs. All other files are saved onto externals. And before you ask, the computer still runs slow when all extraneous drives are unmounted.
    That's 87.85% full...but you do have 56.53gig free. When a hard drive starts to get full...there can be less space available for the OS to operate efficiently (the OS needs "scratch space" on the HD).

    Given everything else you've tried so far the problem could be pointing towards a needing a new HD. But before you do that...I would at least try reinstalling the OS. Maybe something got deleted (that shouldn't have) along the way.

    - Nick.
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  5. #5


    Member Since
    May 11, 2011
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    That's 87.85% full...but you do have 56.53gig free. When a hard drive starts to get full...there can be less space available for the OS to operate efficiently (the OS needs "scratch space" on the HD).

    Given everything else you've tried so far the problem could be pointing towards a needing a new HD. But before you do that...I would at least try reinstalling the OS. Maybe something got deleted (that shouldn't have) along the way.

    - Nick.
    Well Nick I have taken the first step and cleared my hard drive as much as possible.... I'd forgotten about itunes etc which was taking up a huge amount of space. I now have 306GB available. I'll see if that helps at all over the next few days, but if not I guess you're right, I may have to reinstall the OS or get a new HD. Are those easy to replace in iMacs? I've never changed a drive in an iMac.

    Lee.

  6. #6

    TattooedMac's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 19, 2009
    Location
    Waiting for a mate . . .
    Posts
    8,437
    Specs:
    21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon100 View Post
    Well Nick I have taken the first step and cleared my hard drive as much as possible.... I'd forgotten about itunes etc which was taking up a huge amount of space. I now have 306GB available. I'll see if that helps at all over the next few days, but if not I guess you're right, I may have to reinstall the OS or get a new HD. Are those easy to replace in iMacs? I've never changed a drive in an iMac.

    Lee.
    I would of suggested a full HD as well but on the weekend i filled my 250GB up until i had 7GB left. I then played around and to my surprise didnt have a problem for the couple hours i was playing. There was no slow down or beachball so i was really happy. Have they done something different with SL.

    Have you got the original disks that came with the Mac ?? Try out the Hardware test on it

    Cheers
    Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
    Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
    MoTM ☆☆☆

  7. #7

    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    35,735
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon100 View Post
    Well Nick I have taken the first step and cleared my hard drive as much as possible.... I'd forgotten about itunes etc which was taking up a huge amount of space. I now have 306GB available. I'll see if that helps at all over the next few days, but if not I guess you're right, I may have to reinstall the OS or get a new HD. Are those easy to replace in iMacs? I've never changed a drive in an iMac.

    Lee.
    Definitely try the OS reinstall before the HD replacement. As far as the HD replacement...well...let's say it's not easy...but it can be done by a confident & moderately skilled user.

    I'm not 100% sure exactly which iMac you have (I know that you mentioned something about 2 years, and it being a 2.8ghz Core 2 Duo). You can go to...iFixit.com. They have some great DIY procedures with lots of photos. I'm sure there's some videos on You-Tube as well.

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  8. #8

    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    35,735
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post

    Have you got the original disks that came with the Mac ?? Try out the Hardware test on it
    Another great idea!

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Mac suddenly very slow.
    By newcoyote in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-22-2015, 10:04 AM
  2. Mac OS running really slow suddenly
    By badgerdude in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-17-2014, 06:11 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-22-2013, 04:04 PM
  4. MBpro suddenly running slow.
    By monkeyboy2000 in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-22-2011, 07:55 PM
  5. suddenly running slow
    By BBMike in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-28-2007, 03:54 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •