New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

New iMac - Pics inside

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

So - my iMac arrived yesterday - but unfortunately - I was in Chicago. Got back this evening and set about setting up the new machine - even though I currently can't hear much out of either ear since I came down with a nasty head cold on Sunday evening. Thought my ear drums might burst as we were landing!! But anyway...on to the pics and then the benchmarks - and a little 'oops' on my part.

Wrong
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

The box had an impact mark so I was slightly concerned. The impact was enough to crack the styrofoam inside.

QUOTE Thanks
bentharbour

bentharbour has a spectacular aura about

Did the impact do any harm to the iMac, man, that would be a shame for such a beautiful machine.

Apple does pack their machines VERY well, so it wouldn't surprise me if the styrofoam absorbed the impact.

 15" MBPr (2012): 2.3Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, 256 GB SSD  24" Apple Cinema Display  iPhone 5 16GB Black  iPad 2 16GB White
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

Decided to go ahead and install the 16 GB of memory that I had ordered from OWC before firing up the iMac for the first time - this leads me to my oops story.

Yes - I am a hand model...thanks

Removing Apple's memory

Got it all installed - turned it on - and here's what I saw - along with a series of 3 beeps that kept repeating. Ugh.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Edit: ?????
Bad or not properly seated RAM?

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

Sooo... I powered down - pulled the memory - reseated it - put it back in - fired it back up - and the same thing.

Well - long story short - I pulled a bit of a numbskull move and damaged one of the memory boards.

I was having a hard time seating the first board - so I used a screw driver - and it slipped. Oh well - guess OWC will get a little more of my money
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razormac View Post
Congratulations!

I so need one of those.

EDIT: ?????
Thanks! Yeah - still posting the story - has a happy ending - don't worry.
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

So - pulled that memory module - and tried once more - and we were in business.

Transferred all my applications and data from the MacBook Pro using migration assistant - flawless as usual.

Up and running and ready to download a ton of updates.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianLachoreVPI View Post
Thanks! Yeah - still posting the story - has a happy ending - don't worry.
I'll wait. Glad it turned out okay.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
bentharbour

yeah, good to know it turned out!

I too bad about the "oops", but as long as you are happy with the purchase!

the iMac looks like a true champ.

 15" MBPr (2012): 2.3Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, 256 GB SSD  24" Apple Cinema Display  iPhone 5 16GB Black  iPad 2 16GB White
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

So - long story short - I'm up and running, but with 12 GB of ram, instead of 16.

Ran Geekbench once in each mode just to get a feel for the machine - did this before updating.

QUOTE Thanks
bentharbour

Those are some impressive benchmarks!

QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

Minor gripes list
  • Magic Mouse batteries were dead
  • Magic mouse may be faulty
  • AC power cord is too short
  • Would like to be able to do migration assistant via Thunderbolt

Machine is sweet so far - sure is nice to see my Aperture images on this 27" screen!!

I guess now I have to create a user account for the wife
QUOTE Thanks
MancmacUK

MancmacUK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianLachoreVPI View Post
Minor gripes list
  • Would like to be able to do migration assistant via Thunderbolt
Would you not need Thunderbolt on your old computer too ?

 iMac 21.5" 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5 OSX 10.8.3
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

Quote:
Originally Posted by MancmacUK View Post
Would you not need Thunderbolt on your old computer too ?
I would - but I do have - it's the 2011 MBP. I sort of expect that Apple will enable that sometime over the next year or so.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« mac pro that'll create 3d movie! | Installing software »