New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Just bought an IMac!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

thunderman

thunderman is on a distinguished road

Mainly for its video editing abilities! How do I burn an HD movie to DVD? is that even possible?
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderman View Post
Mainly for its video editing abilities! How do I burn an HD movie to DVD? is that even possible?
You use iDvD. And, yes it is possible, providing the movie file size is such to fit on a DvD.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razormac View Post
You use iDvD. And, yes it is possible, providing the movie file size is such to fit on a DvD.
And assuming that the movie was legally acquired.

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
And assuming that the movie was legally acquired.

- Nick
Good point, Nick!
Never even occured to me . . . I was assuming a self produced movie.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
thunderman

Yes. I am in the television industry and need to shoot in 16:9 today for a virtual tour I am going to produce at home. Basically I want to take school kids through our set while they are at school!
QUOTE Thanks
Deckyon

Deckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM

I have noticed that even if you take a movie that was made into an HD movie, iDVD will encode it for the standard wide-screen DVD format and drop the 1080 down. I do not think this will change until full Blue Ray support comes.

For example:
768 photos at 3200x2400 (rough estimates) put together, set to music and rendered as HD 1080i in iMovie is NOT 1080i when burnt onto a DVD with iDVD.

Now, I took the rendered movie and exported it to a 1080i MP4 file and burnt it on my Win7 Bootcamp to a friend's portable BR Burner and it was burnt at 1080i Blue Ray.

I am also finding that there are a lot of movies (as I pull my collection of over 500 down for my video library) are burnt on Dual Layer DVDs (hold 8GB rather than 4.6GB). So, you can burn the video file to a Dual Layer and then watch on a player that supports file playback (MP3, MP4, WMV...)

MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB RAM
MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB RAM
iPhone 5S 64GB, iPad Air 2 128 GB LTE, iPod Nano Gen6 8GB, Apple TV 3 & 2
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razormac View Post
Good point, Nick!
Never even occured to me . . . I was assuming a self produced movie.
Piracy or illegal "ripping" is usually more common than self-produced...but sounds like you were right since "thunderman" clarified things for us!

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
thunderman

OK, totally new to Mac here so forgive me. iDVD is the burner in my new mac? It is a good burner?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
OK, totally new to Mac here so forgive me. iDVD is the burner in my new mac? It is a good burner?
iDVD is a software application...part of "iLife" which I think is preinstalled on new computers:

Apple - iDVD - Create DVDs of your movies and photo slideshows.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
thunderman

Wow, looks awesome!! I bought Adobe Premiere 9 the other day, how does iMovie compare? Final Cut?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Wow, looks awesome!! I bought Adobe Premiere 9 the other day, how does iMovie compare? Final Cut?
- Final Cut or Final Cut Express costs from $199 - $999
- Adobe Premier Elements around $99
- iLife $49...and iDVD is only a small part of iLife

So iDVD is a good little program..but if you want more features...

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
Deckyon

Deckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM

If you have Adobe Premiere 9, then don't worry about either iMovie or Final Cut. No need to double spend on something like Final Cut.

If you buy a new iMac, iLife comes on it already (iMovie, iPhoto, iDVD...) so you dont have to worry about buying it.

I have used iDVD for some projects and it is simple enough to throw together a simple DVD with a workable menu in a few minutes. I have not gotten to where I have done anything with Chapters (don't need chapters in a 5 min demo) but I will be looking to do that here shortly.

I have the whole Sony Creative suite on my Win7 Bootcamp, but I wanted to mess with the Apple tools for a bit.

MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB RAM
MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB RAM
iPhone 5S 64GB, iPad Air 2 128 GB LTE, iPod Nano Gen6 8GB, Apple TV 3 & 2
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Help with iMac cpu+heat problem | Added blu-ray now DVD not ejecting »