New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac 27 late 2009 i7 version - Need help upgrading to SSD hard drive

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

sinitry23

sinitry23 is an unknown at this point

Hi,

I have a late model iMac 27inch 2009 i7 desktop. I would like to upgrade my main hard drive to a 256gb SSD hard drive from macsales.com and DIY myself. Before I go ahead and make the purchase, would you please let me know what I need as in hardware and setups to get this done?

I recall reading a post somewhere that if I install a SSD hard drive to replace my 1TB hard drive I need to modify the hard drive temp sensor, otherwise the fan will constantly spin? I would also like to keep my current 1tb sata hard drive as a secondary drive inside the iMac.

Can all this be done without removing my CD-rom super drive? Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
sinitry23

If I wish to keep my current 1TB hard drive will I need to forfeit the super drive and replace it with an external drive?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

First, make sure you're up to doing the work yourself. You'll need some special items such as two large suction cups, a set of torx drivers, several spungers, and other tools. Keep in mind that the entire front panel including the display will have to be removed to gain access into your iMac.

I recommend going to iFixit: The free repair manual and take a look at their instructions for gaining access into the iMac. They have step by step instructions on how to change out the hard drive.

I'm not sure if OWC sells the add on bracket to place your hard drive in. What you may need to do is put the SSD in the extra bracket not where your 1 TB drive is in order to keep the temperature sensor working.
QUOTE Thanks
sinitry23

Can I replace my super drive and add a SSD hard drive with a bracket in place where the super drive use to be located and make that hard drive the primary drive?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

Not on an iMac. The special bracket and hardware for replacing the optical drive are made for the MacBook Pro only. Won't work on an iMac because the mounting is different.

Also, I think you're not aware that is doesn't matter where you put the SSD since it can be your primary boot drive regardless.

Install the SSD in the special bracket, leave the 1 TB drive alone. Make the SSD bootable by installing OS X on it. Then, open System Preferences, Startup Disk, and select the SSD as the default boot drive. The system will then boot from the SSD.
QUOTE Thanks
sinitry23

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Not on an iMac. The special bracket and hardware for replacing the optical drive are made for the MacBook Pro only. Won't work on an iMac because the mounting is different.

Also, I think you're not aware that is doesn't matter where you put the SSD since it can be your primary boot drive regardless.

Install the SSD in the special bracket, leave the 1 TB drive alone. Make the SSD bootable by installing OS X on it. Then, open System Preferences, Startup Disk, and select the SSD as the default boot drive. The system will then boot from the SSD.
So I don't need to remove my super drive? I though I read somewhere that I will lose my super drive if I decide to install an additional SSD hard drive? Do I lose the super drive because I need an extra SATA connection for the new SSD hard drive?

What is this special bracket I need to install the SSD? Will this special bracket work with my late 2009 iMac i7 system? Do I need any cables?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Take a look at this thread on the Mac Rumors Forum: LINK

Also, Other World Computing has a variety of SSDs and a turnkey upgrade program you can take a look at. Not sure if it's just for the 2010 iMac though....

From what I've read, the SSD can be added to have a second drive rather than remove the stock drive. It does require a bit of work though, so read thru the thread on Mac Rumors and do some more research first before attempting it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Slow iMac | Early 2008 24" Imac Video Card Upgrade »