New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

upgrade ram yourself or through apple?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

halfmonkey

halfmonkey is on a distinguished road

I'm curious to know for those of you that upgraded your RAM, if you upgraded through apple or if you purchased the memory sticks from a 3rd party such as crucial and did it yourself? I'm guessing that if you had a problem with your imac and apple discovered that you had 3rd party equipment on the computer, wouldn't that technically void the warranty?

Curious to know what your opinions are. Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Upgrading RAM does not void your warranty. Apple even shows you how to do this in your User Guide. It is very simple and also cheaper to do it yourself instead of paying Apple to do it.

Here's the newest iMac User Guide: http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/imac_mid2011_ug.pdf.
See Chapter 3, Page 36.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
ocmacman

ocmacman is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.4ghz Unibody

adding your own memory will not void your warranty. Think of getting a new monitor for your computer, that doesn't void the warranty. Neither does buying a new keyboard.

ichat ocmacman1@mac.com
QUOTE Thanks
tomfifield

tomfifield is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacPro 8 core,3.75Tb Hd's,16Gb Ram,2 Apple displays,OSX10.6.x

I got mine through OWC for a good price.

Mac Pro 8 core, 10.6.x 3.75TB HDs, 16Gb Ram, 2 Apple Cin-displays. Large in home music and video studio. Lots of gadgets connected to Mac. G4 in home office.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

It can be significantly cheaper to upgrade the memory yourself rather than have Apple do it. You do have to make sure that the memory purchased matches the specs for your machine. OS X can be a bit picky about that.

BTW last time I checked the OWC site had some very good videos on replacing Mac memory and hard drives if you want to see it done before trying it yourself. Haven't checked to see whether videos of the new models are up yet though.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
kganti1

kganti1 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 3.2 GHz i3; 4GB 133 MHz DDR3

Hey guys, I just have a few questions to bounce off this thread.

1) My imac has 4 slots, 2 are occupied with 2gb sticks each. Can I add a single 4gb stick to one of the other two slots for a total of 8gb, or do I need to buy two more 2gb sticks?

2) The imac I have is has an i3 processor. When I searched on amazon for some ram, the ones that matched the specs the manual calls for says that they are specifically for laptops or are only for i5/i7. Can I safely buy those, or does my imac take a special size or is the ram related to my processor?

3) I want to buy from amazon bc I have a bunch of gift certificates... can anyone give me a link that will work for my mac?

I guess I'm just a little confused. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Even if you don't buy from there check out the memory configuration information at either OWC or Crucial. Either of them does a pretty good job at pulling up the correct memory.

Upgrade Apple iMac Memory & more

RAM Memory Upgrade: Dell, Mac, Apple, HP, Compaq. USB drives, SSD at Crucial.com - Run the Scan My System

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
Toranaga

Toranaga is on a distinguished road

I bought 16GB RAM and installed myself. It was easy and everything was good for a couple of months. But then I started getting random shutdowns. After some googling i realized many was having this problem. It seems the iMac is very picky about the RAM when running 16GB.

I switched it up so I now am running with 12GB and have not had any problems since. I would still upgrade myself because Apples prices for RAM are outrages, but you might wanna google wich RAM to get.

iMac 27"/i7/256GB SSD/2TB/12GB - Macbook Air 13 (2011) - iPhone 4
QUOTE Thanks
ronin67

ronin67 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfmonkey View Post
I'm curious to know for those of you that upgraded your RAM, if you upgraded through apple or if you purchased the memory sticks from a 3rd party such as crucial and did it yourself? I'm guessing that if you had a problem with your imac and apple discovered that you had 3rd party equipment on the computer, wouldn't that technically void the warranty?

Curious to know what your opinions are. Thanks in advance.
Do it yourself. it isn't hard to do. If you get Apple to do some for you, you will pay anywhere from $100-300 extra.

May God Bless.

Ed
QUOTE Thanks
pedropete

Location: Moved to Spain in 2000 after enforced early retirement and a bad divorce
pedropete can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: iMac24,iMac27,iMac21.5-i3,iPhone4-32gb,iTouch3.32gb,iPad1,Apple TV,iPodClassic160gbx2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toranaga View Post
I bought 16GB RAM and installed myself. It was easy and everything was good for a couple of months. But then I started getting random shutdowns. After some googling i realized many was having this problem. It seems the iMac is very picky about the RAM when running 16GB.

I switched it up so I now am running with 12GB and have not had any problems since. I would still upgrade myself because Apples prices for RAM are outrages, but you might wanna google wich RAM to get.
Out of interest as all my iMacs run on the original onboard 4gb RAM - WHAT sort of differences would you note when you stepped-up from 4 to 12gb ?
A general increase in speed only ?

Live each day as it comes - it may be your last !?
QUOTE Thanks
pedropete

Location: Moved to Spain in 2000 after enforced early retirement and a bad divorce
pedropete can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: iMac24,iMac27,iMac21.5-i3,iPhone4-32gb,iTouch3.32gb,iPad1,Apple TV,iPodClassic160gbx2

Anybody please ??

Live each day as it comes - it may be your last !?
QUOTE Thanks
BasilFawlty

BasilFawlty is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 3.4Ghz core i7 27 inch iMac 16Gb / OS X 10.7.4 / Apple TV 2

I'm in the UK, and am thinking of adding another 8GB RAM to my new iMac myself. It's very hard to tell which RAM will work ok. Could anyone have a look at these and tell me if you think they are ok?

Corsair - Memory - 8 GB : 2 x 4 GB - SO DIMM 204-pin - DDR3 - 1333 MHz / PC3-10600 - CL9 - 1.5 V - unbuffered - non-ECC: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

and,

The tech guy on the Mushkin ones says he 'thinks' they would be ok?

Any advice much appreciated. Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Toranaga

Toranaga is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedropete View Post
Out of interest as all my iMacs run on the original onboard 4gb RAM - WHAT sort of differences would you note when you stepped-up from 4 to 12gb ?
A general increase in speed only ?
Well I have never used it with less than 12GB so... RAM is so cheap that I just ordered the 16gb when I ordered the iMac. I use Lightroom a lot of Lightroom and just want it to have all the RAM it can use.

I have a friend though who bought the 8GB I removed so he went from 4 to 12GB and said he clearly noticed smoother operation.

iMac 27"/i7/256GB SSD/2TB/12GB - Macbook Air 13 (2011) - iPhone 4
QUOTE Thanks
BasilFawlty

BasilFawlty is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 3.4Ghz core i7 27 inch iMac 16Gb / OS X 10.7.4 / Apple TV 2

I found the RAM at Crucial on-line. I just put the model of the iMac in and they tell you which RAM is right one. Was way cheaper than Apple RAM!!
QUOTE Thanks
tarheel

tarheel is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 21 Inch - 3.1 GHz I7 Quad Core - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD, iPod Nano, iPad Air - 16GB Wifi Only

Yesterday I received the new iMac 27 inch, 3.4 GHz, QuadCore, i7 computer. Today I increased the RAM from the minimum this computer ships with to 16GB.
I had ordered a 16 GB RAM kit from Crucial - as the computer has 4 slots for RAM and each of the modules was 4 GB, so of course 4 X 4 = 16 GB RAM.
I am a photographer and use Photoshop CS5 and Lightroom 3 software. Sometimes CS5 files, with many layers, can get huge and Lightroom can also benefit from more RAM. Everything happens much faster with big CS5 files if you have more RAM. The install was very easy, pop 2 modules out and slide the 4 Crucial modules in! Installing/changing RAM is about the only change you can make to an iMac without taking the screen off - which requires special tools and someone good with their hands and that has an aptitude for working on things. Getting to the modules for changing RAM requires one small screwdriver to remove the RAM cover on the bottom edge of the iMac!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« how to clean my imac? | iMac 2.93 possible 6970m? »