New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

help with configuration

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

halfmonkey

halfmonkey is on a distinguished road

So now that the refreshed iMacs are out, I'm interested in pulling the trigger and getting one and have most likely decided to not wait for Lion since it's a software update that can be done later (at an additonal cost of course.)

My question is about a recommended configuration. I primarily will be using it to browse, edit and manage photos, and edit and manage HD camorder material of the family. I'm thinking of getting the 21.5" with 2 tb and 8 gb ram. I'm thinking of just sticking with the 2.7 GHz i5 chip instead of upgrading to 2.8 GHz i7 chip.

Please provide your thoughts on this config.

On a side note, I'm not sure yet if I will also buy Aperture 3 and Final Cut Express 4 or buy Adobe Premiere and Element. If anybody has any experience of opinion on this, I would certianly appreciate yopur feedback as well.

Thanks in advance all.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

The i5 will do your bidding perfect fine, there's no compelling need to go to the i7..if you really need have the upgraded 2TB HDD then do so, but avoid upgrading the stock 4GB of memory, you can upgrade to 8GB yourself by purchasing RAM from either OWC or Cricual (it'll be cheaper and is a 5 min install)..

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
halfmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
The i5 will do your bidding perfect fine, there's no compelling need to go to the i7..if you really need have the upgraded 2TB HDD then do so, but avoid upgrading the stock 4GB of memory, you can upgrade to 8GB yourself by purchasing RAM from either OWC or Cricual (it'll be cheaper and is a 5 min install)..

Regards
I will use the 2 tr because of the large files from the HD camcorder and I'm sure having 8gb of ram will help with rendering and all. I've heard of people saying how easy it is to replace the ram and how overpriced the apple stores charge for the upgrade but frankly, i'm new to the iMac and am not comfortable opening it up. I can replace it on a pc but considering that the brain and heart of the computer is a all in one chasis with the monitor, i'm a little worried about open it up. The apple store is asking for $200 to upgrade to 8gb. Does that sound really overpriced?
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Can you use a screwdriver to remove 2 or 3 philips screws? Then you can upgrade the memory in the iMac.

There is a slot at the bottom of the iMac and one you remove the screws, the plate comes out and you'll see the 2 memory slots readily available, plug in the memory stick and you're in business..you are NOT taking apart the iMac.

See for yourself: iMac (2009) Memory (High Quality) Installation Video at OtherWorldComputing.com

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
halfmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
Can you use a screwdriver to remove 2 or 3 philips screws? Then you can upgrade the memory in the iMac.

There is a slot at the bottom of the iMac and one you remove the screws, the plate comes out and you'll see the 2 memory slots readily available, plug in the memory stick and you're in business..you are NOT taking apart the iMac.

See for yourself: iMac (2009) Memory (High Quality) Installation Video at OtherWorldComputing.com

Regards
Wow! That is easy. I didn't realize that the ram was located on the bottom of the screen like that. I always thought you had to completely take aprt the computer and get at the internals to upgrade the RAM. That is easy. Now to figure out what kind of memory card it takes.
QUOTE Thanks
IWT

Location: Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
IWT is a jewel in the roughIWT is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2010 27" iMac 16GB RAM, SSD & 1TB IHD (Lion) + 2013 27" iMac Fusion SSD & 3TB IHD, 32GB (Mavericks)

Hi halfmonkey

In respect of the second part of your question, the iMac as proposed by Rax0rEdge can easily handle Aperture 3 and indeed Final Cut Pro let alone the Express versions.

I have used both without difficulty on my older 21.5 iMac (8GB) with core duo processors and on the 2010 i7 iMac (16GB) and SSD.

On each, video editing is handled fine (faster on the newer machine) and I also use both as an OsiriX Diagnostic Workstation. Again no problem handling this.

You will have no problem. I cannot speak for Adobe Premiere or Element; but cannot imagine a difficulty there.

Hope this helps.

Good fortune.

Ian
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfmonkey View Post
Wow! That is easy. I didn't realize that the ram was located on the bottom of the screen like that. I always thought you had to completely take aprt the computer and get at the internals to upgrade the RAM. That is easy. Now to figure out what kind of memory card it takes.
As to memory type itself, visit crucial.com and use their very excellent configuration tool and it will tell you exactly which memory to get..

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
halfmonkey

So how much of a difference would you say getting either the 21.5 or 27" 2.7ghz i5 chip is vs getting the 27" 3.1 ghz i5 chip with the upgraded video card as well?

Again, please keep in mind that I'll be using this mainly for photo editing and hd camcorder footage of the family and I'll be updating the RAM to 8gb. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« NVIDIA GT 6800 AGP Pro Mac | help please »