Mac Pro G5 won't recognize new monitor - help is appreciated!
    New guy, new troubles. I am not a 100% sure if this is the right place to post my issue - if it's not, I would be dearly grateful for an admin to move this post elsewhere.

Anyway, going on to the issue. I just got a Mac Pro G5 from 2005, and when I tested it, it worked fine. But when I went away and bought a new monitor, (A V7) the screen would just blur in several funny colours. (Mostly white and blue)

I've tried everything that I could possibly come up with. Bought a new cable AND a new cable adapter, tried with a different monitor, (ViewSonic) adjusted screen resolution in every possible way. I have two clues to go on; Whenever I put up a screen resolution on a higher scale (Like 1270x780 or something like that) the screen would turn black and display "out of range". It's when I tried a lower screen resolution that the screen would display funny colours. Clue No. 2 is that I actually did see the Apple Logo a brief time during a startup after I simply blowed my graphics card. My heart lept, and I quickly reached for a vaccum cleaner to clean up the whole Mac internals. (It was quite dusty) But after that, still just funny colours.

Also, whenever I start up my Mac, the fan would immediately set on full throttle - You know, the Mac Pro fans that sound like jet engines. Every time. Is that related to my problem somehow?

I feel myself stuck, since I can't really enter the Mac to try the "find new monitor" option, since I simply can't see. I've tried safe mode too.. won't happen a thing.

This has been quite a blow for me, since I've really been looking forward to this.

Any help is deeply appreciated. Thanks.

Nambucca Heads Australia
    iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.11
    G'day and welcome to the forums.

Well if it is 2005, it is a G5 PowerPC and not a Mac Pro. Mac Pros only come with Intel processors. Sounds like the graphics card is shot. Is the card an AGP or PCI-E card? Also Mac Pros are silent and if the G5 roars you may well have a dying logic board. If it is the 2.5GHz Dual Core, they are liquid cooled, and a leak getting the coolant into the processors can also cause these problems.
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Thread Information