New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Leave your iMAC on?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

marcopolo

marcopolo is on a distinguished road

Just wondering if people leave their MACs on all the time and let the power save do the rest. I was reading the book that came with the unit and it mentions about leaving it on if not used for more than 24H, or something to that effect.

I usually power my Windows PC and laptops down each evening and though there is hard logic to the reasoning I wondered what others do?
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Been running for almost 6 months without a restart or a shutdown.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

I only ever restart mine if i need to for Software update, which was however long ago.

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

I always left mine on, but set the screen to sleep after 20 minutes or so.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
bentharbour

bentharbour has a spectacular aura about

Yeah, Mine has been on since I bought it. It is on 20 minute screen sleep and It has been restarted a couple times for various reasons.

 15" MBPr (2012): 2.3Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, 256 GB SSD  24" Apple Cinema Display  iPhone 5 16GB Black  iPad 2 16GB White
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Just to add to this thread, which is one of about 30 on the same topic
I never switch off, unless rebooting for an update, like my friend there, or maybe if I'm going away for a week or two.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

I only restart or shut down mine for the following reasons:

1) Software updates or installs that require it.

2) I'm going to be out of town and away from the machine for more than 4 weeks.

Other than that, my screen is set to dim after 1 min of non-use and I will leave the machine at the login screen (not logged out, just locked) when I am out of the the house at work or out of town. I don't even spin down the discs as they will do that themselves.

QUOTE Thanks
Sawday

Sawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 24" Aluminium, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb RAM. iPad2, iPhone4

Another iMac user here who never switches off except when away from home for more than a cople of days and only restarts it when required for software updates.

Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you get.
QUOTE Thanks
Hibernia

Hibernia is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Ipad 64gb wifi , Itouch 32gb wifi , 2011 Imac 21"

Heres a question for you guys then from at the moment a non imac owner but an owner of a very noisy pc.

My computer sits a few feet from my bed and if/when i pluck up the courage to buy this Mac is it quiet enough when switched on to get to sleep as theres no way my old tower or my current laptop could let me do this?
QUOTE Thanks
Ttaylor394

Ttaylor394 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: '10 21.5iMac self update-1TB 16GB-'12 MBP13 self update 1TB 16gb-32GB&16gb iphones-32GB iPad,

@Hibernia
It will be very quite mine is great in that department.

21.5"iMac i3 3.06:running 10.7  500GB HD  16GB DDR3  Magic Trackpad  Black iPhone4 32GB  White iPhone4 16GB  Apple Extreme Airport Base Station 
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hibernia View Post
Heres a question for you guys then from at the moment a non imac owner but an owner of a very noisy pc.

My computer sits a few feet from my bed and if/when i pluck up the courage to buy this Mac is it quiet enough when switched on to get to sleep as theres no way my old tower or my current laptop could let me do this?
Yes. Unless you are doing something that is taxing the CPUs greatly and thus spinning up the fans the thing is unbelievably quiet.

QUOTE Thanks
Widescreen

Widescreen is on a distinguished road

on a hot summer day, wouldn't the iMacs over heat?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widescreen View Post
on a hot summer day, wouldn't the iMacs over heat?
Depends what you call a "hot Summer day"...Check the "operating specs":

iMac - Buy iMac desktop computers - Apple Store (U.S.)

...up to 95F.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
papamidnight

papamidnight is on a distinguished road

I leave my 27" on at all times without an issue yet.
QUOTE Thanks
Widescreen

Widescreen is on a distinguished road

I'd say hot summer day as in 100 degrees outside and running multiple programs. It tends to get SUPER hot but i'm not sure if its 95

2011 iMac 27'
Ipad 2 / Ipad
Iphone 4/3Gs
Ipod nano 3rd gen < First apple product
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Crucial Memory Upgrade Praise | Boot slow on upgraded Mac mini mid 2010 - RAM+SSD »