New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

MAC PRO / Photoshop CS5

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Scrappy

Scrappy is on a distinguished road

Sooo @ work, i am ordering a new MAC. Ive been researching online, but cant find an answer to my question. Does CS5 utilize more than 2 cores? Im not sure if I should stick with a 4-core or jump up to the 6-core or 8-core macs.... I plan on getting 16 gb of ram & a 2nd HD for a scratch disk, but I see no need in having 8 cores if I will only use 2 or 4. any help is appreciated.
(Im a graphic desginer, using PS, ILL, INDD, FLASH)
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

I have an 8 core mac pro at work, I'll try and max out photoshop and tell you what happens

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappy View Post
Sooo @ work, i am ordering a new MAC. Ive been researching online, but cant find an answer to my question. Does CS5 utilize more than 2 cores? Im not sure if I should stick with a 4-core or jump up to the 6-core or 8-core macs.... I plan on getting 16 gb of ram & a 2nd HD for a scratch disk, but I see no need in having 8 cores if I will only use 2 or 4. any help is appreciated.
(Im a graphic desginer, using PS, ILL, INDD, FLASH)
Look at this list of Macintosh applications...regarding use of multiple cores:

MPG - Mac Performance 101: Cores, Processes, Memory - Application support for multiple CPU cores

..as you can see...the first applications in the list are CS4 & CS5...and according to the author of the article/list...CS4 & CS5 don't do a very good job of using multiple cores.

HTH,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
..as you can see...the first applications in the list are CS4 & CS5...and according to the author of the article/list...CS4 & CS5 don't do a very good job of using multiple cores.
Can someone explain why Adobe is always behind the power curve? You would think with a costly top of line software package such as CS5, it would do everything everywhere including your laundry!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Can someone explain why Adobe is always behind the power curve? You would think with a costly top of line software package such as CS5, it would do everything everywhere including your laundry!
Lately I've been trying to find more info into how many applications there are that truly take advantage of multi-core Macintosh computers....and the link above is the best I have found so far. If that list is in anyway accurate...it's not very encouraging info for owning any Macintosh computer beyond a core 2 duo.

Ever since Apple released the dual-processor Powermac 9500/180 back in 1996...we've been hearing the same "song" from Apple regarding multi-processors/multi-cores. First it's a rewrite of the OS that is needed to take advantage of multi-cpu's...then it's rewrite's of applications to take advantage of multi-cpu's. And this "story" seems to go back & forth between the OS & applications.

Now it is 15 years later (and unless someone can find better info)...according to the link above...not even the Mac OS (Finder), Safari, etc. seems to be taking much advantage of multi-core Macintosh's.

It would be interesting to hear how the latest games do in regards to multi-core Mac's. There have been quantum leaps of improvement when it comes to graphics hardware...but the potential of multi-core Mac's doesn't seem to have scratched the surface yet. Thus you have to wonder what is the real value of owning a quad-core (iMac or MacBook Pro)...or a quad-core, 6-core, 8-core, or 12 core Mac Pro...when for most applications hardly more than 2 cores are really being taken advantage of???

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Have always thought Adobe want the world to conform to their ideas rather than they change their software.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
Scrappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post

MPG - Mac Performance 101: Cores, Processes, Memory - Application support for multiple CPU cores

Great Link!
thx!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappy View Post
Great Link!
thx!
You're welcome. I wish there was more...I've been looking for this answer as well!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Another link discussing the performance increase (yes or no) of multi-core Mac's:

Mac Intel Quad Core Vs. 2 Dual Core Processors | eHow.com

Quote from the final paragraph:

"Since Mac OS X 10.6 has been re-engineered to utilize multiple cores, users should notice a speed increase, as well as the quad core's added power management benefit. Many everyday applications, including word processing, email, web browsing, have not been rewritten to fully utilize the presence of multiple processors (dual or quad core). This will result in little to no noticeable speed increase."

I've been digging into this topic...since I recently purchased a used 2009 8-core (16 virtual cores) Mac Pro...and was questioning whether or not it was really a smart purchase since most software either doesn't or only minimally takes advantage of multiple cores.

Yet another interesting article discussing multiple cpu-cores in Mac's:

http://macperformanceguide.com/Optimizing-Cores.html

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

One App I can definitively tell you will use ever ounce of every core it can get: Handbrake.

QUOTE Thanks
Migraine

Migraine is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
One App I can definitively tell you will use ever ounce of every core it can get: Handbrake.
Unless the developers have recently supported multi-core CPUs, Handbrake only uses one core.
QUOTE Thanks
Migraine

Migraine is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post

HTH,

- Nick
Thanks for this link too! I have been searching last night and today for info about this since the iMac 2011 update. I thought from the first MacWorld benchmarks on i5 iMac 3.1GHz that there wasn't any big differences in scores.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migraine View Post
Thanks for this link too! I have been searching last night and today for info about this since the iMac 2011 update. I thought from the first ...that there wasn't any big differences in scores.
You're welcome. Thanks for your link as well (newest iMac scores).

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
Scrappy

well, i priced out the 6-core machine with 16gb of ram. I think it will be fine.
thanks guys!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMac backlight and RT questions | iMac 27" Major Upgrade (Late 2009) »