New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

wait for Lion or get the newly updated iMacs now?


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
halfmonkey

 
Member Since: Jan 02, 2009
Posts: 123
halfmonkey is on a distinguished road

halfmonkey is offline
So now that the newly updated iMacs are out with quad-core and updated graphic cards, would you just get one or would you actually wait until Lion is available? Apple's website says that Lion will be available in the summer. If I get the new iMac now, how much do you think Apple will charge to update Snow Leopard to Lion when it's released?
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

 
Raz0rEdge's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 17, 2009
Location: MA
Posts: 7,491
Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Raz0rEdge is offline
No pricing has been announced for Lion yet, but group wisdom and history seems to indicate that it'd be around $129 since Lion is indeed a full OS upgrade like going from 10.3->10.4->10.5..Snow Leopard, at $29, for a minor upgrade to Leopard..

If you want to buy the iMac now, no reason to wait..I, however, doubt that you'd get a discount to upgrade to Lion when it does release in the Summer..

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

 
cwa107's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 20, 2006
Location: Middletown, Pennsylvania
Posts: 26,494
cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

cwa107 is offline
Thread moved to more appropriate forum. Please read before posting in Rumors & Reports.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

 
chscag's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 23, 2008
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 39,374
chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

chscag is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfmonkey View Post
So now that the newly updated iMacs are out with quad-core and updated graphic cards, would you just get one or would you actually wait until Lion is available? Apple's website says that Lion will be available in the summer. If I get the new iMac now, how much do you think Apple will charge to update Snow Leopard to Lion when it's released?
If you want or need a new iMac, I would buy it now. We really don't know for sure exactly when in the Summer Lion will be released nor what the price will be. There's a lot of speculation regarding the price....

But even if it sells for full price (around $129.00) it will be well worth it for the new features it offers. Of course if you don't need a new iMac right now, then it might be prudent to wait.
QUOTE Thanks
50voltphantom

 
50voltphantom's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 08, 2010
Posts: 164
50voltphantom is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo - eMac 1.42 GHz (RIP) - iMac G3 400 MHz - iPad 2 16GB

50voltphantom is offline
I'm actually kinda contemplating something similar. I'm planning on buying a new iMac next year around this time, so when Lion is released this summer, do I go ahead and get a copy for my current machine, or just wait until I get a new computer? Decisions, decisions.

Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo 4 GB RAM 500 GB HD OS 10.6.8 Magic Trackpad- eMac 1.42 GHz (RIP) - iMac G3 Grape 400 MHz 1GB RAM 40GB HD OS 10.4.11 iSub - iPad 2 16GB - iPod Classic 120 GB - iPod Shuffle 2nd Gen 1GB - Apple TV 2
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

 
Stretch's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 13, 2007
Location: Central New York
Posts: 4,779
Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

Stretch is offline
Do you need a new computer now?
Yes: Buy iMac now and get Lion when released
No: wait until you need a new computer.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
Migraine

 
Member Since: Mar 16, 2005
Posts: 53
Migraine is on a distinguished road

Migraine is offline
Stretch is right!

But for me, I'll wait for Lion. Why you say? Well as you know Lion will support TRIM which is important for Solid State Drives (SSD). But wait! Apple supports TRIM on its current OS X. Yes it does, however you must buy Apple's SSD for it to work correctly. (Apparently Apple's SSD have TRIM built-in (firmware))

So my thought is to get Lion, tear apart the iMac with iFixit's help and put in a SSD I want. Fortunately I can wait to see if it's worth it. Also, I'm looking forward to benchmarks on Photoshop CS5.
QUOTE Thanks
50voltphantom

 
50voltphantom's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 08, 2010
Posts: 164
50voltphantom is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo - eMac 1.42 GHz (RIP) - iMac G3 400 MHz - iPad 2 16GB

50voltphantom is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Migraine View Post

So my thought is to get Lion, tear apart the iMac with iFixit's help and put in a SSD I want. Fortunately I can wait to see if it's worth it. Also, I'm looking forward to benchmarks on Photoshop CS5.

this may help:

Laptop Buyer's Guide, PSN Spear Phishing, Affordable 50" HDTV:... - Tekzilla

Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo 4 GB RAM 500 GB HD OS 10.6.8 Magic Trackpad- eMac 1.42 GHz (RIP) - iMac G3 Grape 400 MHz 1GB RAM 40GB HD OS 10.4.11 iSub - iPad 2 16GB - iPod Classic 120 GB - iPod Shuffle 2nd Gen 1GB - Apple TV 2
QUOTE Thanks
papamidnight

 
Member Since: Oct 24, 2010
Posts: 20
papamidnight is on a distinguished road

papamidnight is offline
I'd say buy it now. I had to make the same decision last week about buying a macbook pro for my girlfriend, in the end I decided that it doesn't make sense to keep waiting for the next new thing, I'll just upgrade when its released. Just buy it now and begin enjoying the machine.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

 
Kash's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 03, 2006
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 9,385
Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Kash is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Migraine View Post
however you must buy Apple's SSD for it to work correctly. (Apparently Apple's SSD have TRIM built-in (firmware))
Apple does not produce SSDs. Some other company makes the SSDs for them, most likely Intel. This means you will be able to purchase an SSD separately from Apple, and most likely for a significant discount compared to Apple's ridiculous markup on hard drives and memory.


June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

 
Stretch's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 13, 2007
Location: Central New York
Posts: 4,779
Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

Stretch is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash View Post
Apple does not produce SSDs. Some other company makes the SSDs for them, most likely Intel. This means you will be able to purchase an SSD separately from Apple, and most likely for a significant discount compared to Apple's ridiculous markup on hard drives and memory.
Very true, but replacing or adding a drive to an iMac is not an easy task.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
qzxyu

 
Member Since: Mar 06, 2008
Posts: 2
qzxyu is on a distinguished road

qzxyu is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
Very true, but replacing or adding a drive to an iMac is not an easy task.
I too and now ready to buy a new iMac, and I was also thinking about getting an SSD to run Adobe and my editing software on top of a regular HD. Ive been pricing them out and all I really need is a 64gb SSD, but Apple is only offering the 256gb for and extra $500. Anyone know how difficult it would be to install an SSD? I have already changed out my HD on my old Powerbook G4 and also an old PC so I know computer basics.
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

 
Stretch's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 13, 2007
Location: Central New York
Posts: 4,779
Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

Stretch is offline
I've taken apart a G4 iBook, G4 Powerbook, G5 iSight iMac, G4 style Mini, and Alum 24in iMac. The iMacs were by far the hardest to take apart. With the Alum iMacs, you have to take off the glass front, without cracking/breaking/chipping. Once the glass is off, you have to get the screen off. Which involves numerous hard to reach screws. Once the LCD is "free" you have to lift it off far enough to reach under and disconnect the display cable.

Once the screen is off, its pretty much easy going until you have to put everything back together. Then you have to deal with the heavy screen and getting it back into place and screwing in the hard to reach screws. All while keeping dust off the screen and back of the glass.

It doesn't sound that hard reading it/typing it out but the screws that are holding the LCD in are hard to reach and if you drop one underneath the screen you have to take it back out. And the screen, especially the 27in model is heavy. Very awkward to hold it and disconnect the display cable.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

 
BrianLachoreVPI's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 24, 2011
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,742
BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

BrianLachoreVPI is offline
I posted this probably a month or so ago in a similarly themed thread but since I haven't been able to contribute much this week (partly due to drowning in work but mostly because by the time I get in here, everyone else has already answered most of the threads ) I may as well throw my $0.02 in here.

I don't see any real logic in gating a hardware purchase based on the availability of an OS. If you're in the market for a new computer - then buy that new computer and do so close to the time of HW upgrade - at least you'll have the latest and greatest for a few months. Don't forget, Lion is likely to have bugs when released - there's a fantastic and stable OS available now. I'm considering running Lion on a separate partition or drive while I get used to it and while it stabilizes.

But let's say you do wait - and Lion comes out in the fall. There's a good chance you'll be right back here wondering if you should wait until the next HW refresh materializes and pretty soon...you may find yourself paralyzed by an endless do-loop. I'd imagine that by late summer or early fall - all the buzz will be about the "complete redesign" of the next MBP. I personally would never gauge a purchasing decision on an OS release - but that's just me. Hardware refresh - yes. Software - no.
QUOTE Thanks
ezcompane

 
ezcompane's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 27, 2007
Location: Pensacola, Florida
Posts: 298
ezcompane will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.5, 6gb ram, 500gb hard drive. 2010 13" MacBook Air 1.86 C2D, 4gb ram, 128gb HD.

ezcompane is offline
I decided in January that I'd wait to buy until it came with Lion installed on it. Nothing hurt, and I got lucky enough that Apple did a great hardware refresh. I'd say hold off unless you currently have no other machine to use right now.

LIVE and PSN: EZCOMPANE
2008 MacBook Pro (2.5ghz C2D,6gb,80 SSD, 500 GB), iPad 32GB, iPhone 4 16gb, 2011 MacBook Air (11" 1.87 i7, 4GB, 128GB) 2010 MacBook Air (13" 1.86 C2D, 4gb, 128gb), Boxee, Netgear Stora
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« How much would you sell/buy this iMac for... | iPhone apps on iMac ? »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Switching for productivity Vroomer Switcher Hangout 15 06-21-2010 01:39 AM
Should I Get the New 17" MBP or Wait Until It's Updated? Jaygray Apple Notebooks 1 01-06-2009 07:27 PM
iMac; buy now or wait for the rumoured new ones? BenBateman Apple Desktops 14 08-01-2007 10:16 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:33 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?