New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

20-inch vs 21.5-inch

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MartinS

MartinS is a jewel in the roughMartinS is a jewel in the rough

Hi. I'm planning to upgrade my 2006 20-inch iMac. Just wondering if anyone can give me an opinion of how the screens of my current model and the 21.5 iMac compare. The 21.5 has a higher resolution, so I'm thinking the screen will feel larger than the actual physical size difference?

Cheers.

www.martinsketchley.co.uk

2011 21.5-inch i5 iMac
Mid-2009 13-inch MacBook Pro
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinS View Post
Hi. I'm planning to upgrade my 2006 20-inch iMac. Just wondering if anyone can give me an opinion of how the screens of my current model and the 21.5 iMac compare. The 21.5 has a higher resolution, so I'm thinking the screen will feel larger than the actual physical size difference?

Cheers.
I thought you were going to get a 27" iMac?

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
MartinS

Ha! Yeah... But the 27-inch is 400 more expensive and I also want AppleCare and a UPS. Do I really need a 27-inch monster...?

Hmmm.

2011 21.5-inch i5 iMac
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Ha! Yeah... But the 27-inch is 400 more expensive and I also want AppleCare and a UPS. Do I really need a 27-inch monster...?

Hmmm.
Sounds like you're bored...and letting your minds random thoughts come to life on Mac-Forums!

The 21.5" iMac has always been less expensive than the 27" iMac. If cost & size were issues...then the 27" should never have been considered. Make it easy on yourself.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Ha! Yeah... But the 27-inch is 400 more expensive and I also want AppleCare and a UPS. Do I really need a 27-inch monster...? Hmmm.
Same here. We need a new desktop for the business, but like you is the additional cost worth it for a 27" model versus the 21.5"?

Apple Care is an additional $169.00 (Apple's cost), a good UPS - around $200.00. Tough decision for us also.

Now maybe if Nick would donate $500 to us, I would consider it.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post

Now maybe if Nick would donate $500 to us, I would consider it.
Hey...after selling my old Mac Pro for $800...and buying a "new to me" newer used Mac Pro for $1600 a couple weeks ago...the $$$ well is definitely dry!!!...

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:

Cheers.
My wife has an iMac similar to your old one and I can tell you, as would she, that my 21.5 feels much bigger than her 20 even if it isn't physically much larger.

QUOTE Thanks
MartinS

Thanks.

2011 21.5-inch i5 iMac
QUOTE Thanks
MartinS

I'm still struggling (haven't had time to get into the store yet...) While the 21.5 display will be heaps better than my 2006 20-inch, I feel like I'd prefer a greater increase in size. Yet the only option is the 27-inch.

2011 21.5-inch i5 iMac
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

I too would have liked to see Apple offer the new iMacs in a 23" or 24" version in addition to the 27". However, since they didn't, we'll buy the 21.5". The 27" is just too large for our liking.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
I too would have liked to see Apple offer the new iMacs in a 23" or 24" version in addition to the 27". However, since they didn't, we'll buy the 21.5". The 27" is just too large for our liking.
Do you often speak in plural?

QUOTE Thanks
chscag

I was referring to our business needs not my personal ones. "We" being the business entity.
QUOTE Thanks
pedropete

Location: Moved to Spain in 2000 after enforced early retirement and a bad divorce
pedropete can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: iMac24,iMac27,iMac21.5-i3,iPhone4-32gb,iTouch3.32gb,iPad1,Apple TV,iPodClassic160gbx2

Quote:
It depends on your personal preferences and the space you use your machines in...
I am just about to get my 2nd iMac 27" - and to possibly sell my iMac 24"..

I have a small study / office my friends call ' Mac Mission Control,Espana' - and I currently have the 27" to the left of an Ikea computer work station desk, the 24" in the middle, with my newest iMac 21.5 to the right...

On Tuesday when the new i5 Mac 27" arrives, I will probably configure with the new 27" to the right - moving the 21.5 to the middle...
An Orchid - between 2 Prize Winning Roses ?!

Personally - I don't think there's any beating the 27" high-def. LED screens !
For a computer monitor that is...
I do however, have my Windows iMedia pc connected to my 46" Samsung LED HDTV in the salon/lounge - and use it with wireless keyboard and mouse - and that looks pretty good - but it's in a bigger space !

Live each day as it comes - it may be your last !?
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

The 21.5" model is 16:9, as opposed to the 20" iMac which was 16:10. So the screen might initially feel a bit smaller. The resolution is higher though, so you'll get a nice bump in usable screen real estate.

Not trying to change your mind or anything (<– lies!), but do you really need the UPS? Americans will jump in here and tell you it's a necessity to prevent data loss during "brownouts", blackouts, lightning storms, earthquakes and other unpleasant events.

But in Europe, with our new-fangled reliable powergrids and agreeably boring climates, I have never experienced a power grid issue that would require me to have a UPS.

Obviously it's different in a server environment, but do you think you'll really need it at home?
QUOTE Thanks
MartinS

Hi. I just went into the local Apple store and compared the 21.5 and 27 side by side - the 27 is just too large so I went with the smaller one. Going to set it up now!

Aptmunich: re the UPS - we had a power cut here only last night due to a thunderstorm, and I'm certain the power cut that occurred late last year is what fried my iMac's hard drive.

Reckon a UPS might be a good investment just in case...

2011 21.5-inch i5 iMac
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Setup Creative Inspire T6100 5.1 speaker with iMac | How much would you sell/buy this iMac for... »