Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Oh, and the best part was I was entitled to educational discount!
    www.martinsketchley.co.uk

2011 21.5-inch i5 iMac
    Mid-2009 13-inch MacBook Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Aptmunich View Post
    Not trying to change your mind or anything (<– lies!), but do you really need the UPS? Americans will jump in here and tell you it's a necessity to prevent data loss during "brownouts", blackouts, lightning storms, earthquakes and other unpleasant events.

But in Europe, with our new-fangled reliable powergrids and agreeably boring climates, I have never experienced a power grid issue that would require me to have a UPS.
    The power grid in the US is notoriously outdated. I don't use a UPS myself, though I do have a high quality surge protector. Personally I suspect that people who have frequent issues with their computers failing prematurely in various ways are falling victim to issues with their power service. A high quality UPS would be a wise investment for anyone who is subject to power issues in their community.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

Specs:
    Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinS View Post
    Hi. I just went into the local Apple store and compared the 21.5 and 27 side by side - the 27 is just too large so I went with the smaller one. Going to set it up now!

Aptmunich: re the UPS - we had a power cut here only last night due to a thunderstorm, and I'm certain the power cut that occurred late last year is what fried my iMac's hard drive.

Reckon a UPS might be a good investment just in case...
    Fair enough then!

I never experienced issues like that in Cardiff, nor here in Munich (we do get incredible thunderstorms here in the summer, ze german electrical engineering seems to be able to cope with it), which is why I was asking…

But better be safe than sorry, congratulations on the new setup!

Wow. This machine looks fantastic. Not greatly larger than my old one, but just the right size, I think.
    www.martinsketchley.co.uk

2011 21.5-inch i5 iMac
    Mid-2009 13-inch MacBook Pro

Thread Information