New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Switching???

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Eagleonthelast

Eagleonthelast is on a distinguished road

Hi all,
I've been looking at buying a new computer and had decided what spec I was going for, then right out of the blue looked up on the Macs and was quite impressed to see how much they are really liked by the people who already have them. To be honest I haven't a clue on how they work compared to a Windows PC, so that's why I joined this forum to maybe convince me to buy an iMac.
My main use would be image editing large raw files, maybe a bit of video editing in the future and general browsing, but definately no gaming.
I was looking at a 21.5 or 27 imac and was really excited about both of them, but compared to a Windows PC I would appreciate any help on what advantages or disadvantages I would have with them. I mean this may sound a bit silly to experienced Mac users but programmes like Outlook express for e-mailing and others like MS Office and Word plus general browsing, are there any similarities or would I find it difficult to make the initial switch? Once again I would really appreciate any help whatsoever no matter how simple it may sound some of you experienced Mac lovers.

There's no success like failure
and failure is no success at all.
QUOTE Thanks
Deckyon

Deckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM

First of all, I just switched from a Win machine to a OSX machine. What finally sold me was that I could dual boot into Win7 using Bootcamp. This meant I didnt have to worry about getting all new software licenses. Don't set up the dual booting right away, play in OSX for a bit. I waited a week to dual boot mine and I only use it for video rendering and Adobe CS3. Right now, that has been about 5 hours or so a week (I am not shooting right now.)

I got Office:mac 2011 Business edition with Outlook 2011 and love it. I had Office 2007 on my Win7 machine so the transition was cake.

If you are looking at doing any kind of video production (I do between 10 to 20 hours a week while shooting) get the top-listed processor and plan on upgrading the RAM asap. The RAM you can do after you purchase, but not the processor.

Also, what about a MacBook Pro? I will never go back to a desktop machine again. I can always get an external monitor for my MBP if I need to.

The switch will not be terrible, in fact, it should be pretty easy. Stay with this site, read the sticky posts in the Switcher section and you should be fine.

MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB RAM
MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB RAM
iPhone 5S 64GB, iPad Gen3 32GB WiFi, iPod Nano Gen6 8GB, Apple TV 3 & 2
QUOTE Thanks
Eagleonthelast

Eagleonthelast is on a distinguished road

Thanks for some good advice Deckyon, appreciated.

There's no success like failure
and failure is no success at all.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 12-core Mac Pro question | Hardware Question »