New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

A good idea to re-install OS X Snow Leopard??

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

pedropete

Location: Moved to Spain in 2000 after enforced early retirement and a bad divorce
pedropete can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: iMac24,iMac27,iMac21.5-i3,iPhone4-32gb,iTouch3.32gb,iPad1,Apple TV,iPodClassic160gbx2

My oldest Mac-24" iMac is playing up on iTunes - mainly stopping playback intermittently - and suddelny starting-up movies I haven't requested...not going to 'Sleep' for a while when requested..

Is it a good idea to go back to the start by backing-up all of my files wiping and doing a re-install of the software disc ?
Is there anything I should be looking to do before commencing this task for the First time - please ?

( I have uninstalled iTunes and re-loaded several times but it seems to have no effect...)
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Before doing that get the install disc and run disc utility from it. Veify your permissions and check the HD too while your at it.
Reapair anything that needs doing, and rebbot, and see how things are. It could just be that a permission has got messed up somewhere.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
pedropete

Location: Moved to Spain in 2000 after enforced early retirement and a bad divorce
Mac Specs: iMac24,iMac27,iMac21.5-i3,iPhone4-32gb,iTouch3.32gb,iPad1,Apple TV,iPodClassic160gbx2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevriano View Post
Before doing that get the install disc and run disc utility from it. Veify your permissions and check the HD too while your at it.
Reapair anything that needs doing, and rebbot, and see how things are. It could just be that a permission has got messed up somewhere.
OK-Am looking at doing this - but what is 'HD' in this context ?
Scuse my erm - 'ignorance'
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Macintosh Hard Drive

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
pedropete

OK-thanks!

I havea friend who is Windows based and quite a techie who would Love to go-Mac but simply can't afford to - who says that - 'it's a good idea to spring-clean your p.c by re-installing the O.S. every year or two..'

Any comments - anyone re Macs ?
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedropete View Post
OK-thanks!

I havea friend who is Windows based and quite a techie who would Love to go-Mac but simply can't afford to - who says that - 'it's a good idea to spring-clean your p.c by re-installing the O.S. every year or two..'

Any comments - anyone re Macs ?
That sort of thinking is more Windows. That is more of last resort if anything for the Mac side of things.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
thurstmw

thurstmw has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: 13inch 2.3 i5 MBP 64gb SSD 320gb HD 8gb 1333

I take the opportunity to do a fresh reinstall whenever it presents its self but I think I am a rare breed.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New improved desktops soon? | 12-core Mac Pro question »