Specs:
    iMac, 2.66GHz, 2G RAM, Mac Mini, 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM and Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM
    Metadata, is this aka temp internet files?
    Is it ok to constantly delete: Users/myname/Library/caches/Metadata/Safari/Bookmarks and History?

Aren't they basically temporary internet files??

I noticed them one day while cleaning out: Users/myname/Library/Caches/ com.apple.Safari/Webpage Previews.

I already try to Private Browse as much as I remember to, and while in Safari, I'll Empty Cache but it doesn't seem to really clean temp internet files.

And they take a long time to delete! They must take a lot of space, is there an easier way to automatically do this?
    Thanks

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    You can do all that by clicking on the Safari menu and select "Reset Safari". Be sure to check off those items you wish to be removed including "Web Page Previews".

Specs:
    iMac, 2.66GHz, 2G RAM, Mac Mini, 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM and Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM
    Nope, I just tried it, and I had everything checked off, yet those files in:
    Users/*myname*/Library/caches/Metadata/Safari/Bookmarks and History are still there.

Specs:
    Very strange. I just did the same thing and they were wiped out. Which version of Safari are you using? What you describe was a problem with Safari 4.X but as far as I'm aware has been fixed. See this LINK regarding Safari 4.X.

Specs:
    Im using Safari Version 5.0.5.
    I didn't reboot after resetting but I don't think that matters.

Specs:
    Well, I have to take back what I said above. I looked in the wrong cache..

You're absolutely correct about the metadata folder. The bookmark extensions and history extensions for the metadata still exist even after a reset.

Looks like it's the same basic problem that was plaguing Safari 4.X. I just did a manual wipe with my file manager app and it took about 30 seconds for each folder to be wiped. I did notice, however, that the cache only went back to around a month ago. How about yours?

Specs:
    I'm always deleting them so I don't remember the longest period of time they were in there.
    Bookmarks is the most amount, it can take 5 minutes to empty from trash, 1,500 items or so, I do it every couple of days. History has maybe half the amount. And if you open one, it opens to what you were browsing, I don't like that.

Specs:
    I agree. It sure takes away hope of privacy if clicking on any of the metadata files goes right back to the web page. I may start using Firefox again. I'm not crazy about FF but it does clear the caches.

In the meantime, I'll hunt around for an add on or possibly an extension to Safari that will clean the metadata. If I find something useful, I'll post it for all to see.

Specs:
    I stand corrected, History always has the most amount.
    Thanks for your feedback, hope to hear more, thx

Thread Information