New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

WHERE CAN I GET iMAC MEMORY UPGRADES PLEASE ??

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

pedropete

Location: Moved to Spain in 2000 after enforced early retirement and a bad divorce
pedropete can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: iMac24,iMac27,iMac21.5-i3,iPhone4-32gb,iTouch3.32gb,iPad1,Apple TV,iPodClassic160gbx2

I am looking to either sell my 2 yr. old iMac 24" - or more likely to get additional memory i.e. a 500 gb internal drive - or mebbe 1tb..

All I can see advertised when I google this-or even go to Apple sites - is additional 4gb RAM but not the internal memory I want.

Anyone direct me somewhere I can purchase this from ?
I live in Europe and use Amazon.co.uk a lot - but can't find them there either !

Many thanks in advance - as ever !
You Guyz - are Great to we less-techy folk !!
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

You're searching for the wrong thing..

What you want is internal storage or hard drive not internal memory or RAM.

Upgrading an iMac's HD is not a trivial thing, you can follow places like iFixIt and others that do the breakdown to follow it..

You might be better of finding some local Apple-savvy stores and have them upgrade the HDD for you..

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedropete View Post
Many thanks in advance - as ever !
You Guyz - are Great to we less-techy folk !!
Today's computer lesson for "less-techy folk":

ram = computer's memory (the temporary "volatile" place where the OS & open applications reside while in use). New computers in 2011 usually have between 2-4 gigabytes of ram.

hard drive = the primary long-term "non-volatile" storage location for OS files, applications, application documents, photos, music, and video files. New computers in 2011 usually have between 250-750 gigabytes of hard drive storage.

End of lesson,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
pedropete

Location: Moved to Spain in 2000 after enforced early retirement and a bad divorce
pedropete can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: iMac24,iMac27,iMac21.5-i3,iPhone4-32gb,iTouch3.32gb,iPad1,Apple TV,iPodClassic160gbx2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
You're searching for the wrong thing..

What you want is internal storage or hard drive not internal memory or RAM.

Upgrading an iMac's HD is not a trivial thing, you can follow places like iFixIt and others that do the breakdown to follow it..

You might be better of finding some local Apple-savvy stores and have them upgrade the HDD for you..

Regards
OK Guys-thanks again.
I was perusing the manual that came with my new iMac21.5" and from a cursory look I had mistaken the RAM upgrade for the hard drive in the method of fitting the manual shows can be done by even un-skilled techies !
So - changing the internal hard drive is obviously a different matter, essentially done by trained technicians !
Is it in that case-better to stick with my original 500gb-and just use external drives to boost the native memory ?
FINAL QUESTION - for now!
On this subject - my 1st iMac-the 24" in question here - has a strange 'additional' amount of memory - as well as the 500gb core, it also has 138gb's - from where I can not fathom !
Any ideas on this anomaly ?
I have 2 other Macs with 500gb internal hard drives-and they are both the standard 500gb's....
I remember at first getting confused with the 'Macintosh Hard Disc' - and the 'Start Up disc' - what is the difference please ?
I don't seem to have this distinction on my other 2 Macs with 500gb hard drives....
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

are you sure this isnt just the amount of free space it has? has it been partitioned (effectively split in two - to check this go into Disk Utility and check the partition table.

Macintosh Hard Disk (notice the k) is the hard drive, while the Macintosh Install discs (c) are the DVDs that came with your computer.

The start up disk (k) is the hard drive with the operating system (snow leopard) on it, and the hard drive the system boots, or starts up, from. without a start up disk the computer will not function. "Macintosh HD" is usually the start up drive.

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Using an iMac 27 inch as external monitor | powermac G4 »