New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Apple policy at speed bump time new i7

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MisterX

MisterX is on a distinguished road

First post! I've been lurking around for a bit here and have learned quite a bit about the Mac system, enough to (with my other research) decide to make the switch. I was ready to buy my new iMac 27" i7 TONIGHT! And then, I read today that Apple will be releasing the updated iMacs as soon as next week. I probably do not need whatever increase in performance this update will bring, nor do I think Thunderbolt will be a game changing technology at least not in the near future. My question is, if I buy now, what will happen to the pricing of the machine I take home when the new models arrive next week? Might it be worth waiting? Will Apple cut me a break if the price on the current model drops? My goal is to buy near the top of the iMac line with the thought of getting a good 4-5 years or more out of the system. I am a high school vocational teacher and will get the education discount. My budget is around $2200. Thanks for any suggestions, and also thanks for a well structured, polite, and informative forum. I hope to use the resources here as I learn my new system.

Chris
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

No, have never heard of them discounting a previously purchased system.

Apple does have a basic policy of allowing an exchange for the newer model for purchases made within the last 14 days and we hear of some folks getting that exchange on occasion up to 30 days.

Don't know about new iMacs in the next week or two, neither does anyone else for that matter. It's also not often that I suggest waiting to buy. But, if you don't need a new one right now, I'd probably wait for the Sandy Bridge processors to make it into the line up before purchasing. If you need one now, you're still getting a nice piece of kit.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

If you don't feel that the performance of newer iMac's is something you REALLY need...AND if the rumors that new iMac's are coming next week are true...just wait another 7-14 days. Then buy the iMac that's available currently now...in 1-2 weeks since Apple almost always discounts the old models somewhere around $100-$300 bucks (depending on the model).

BUT...the important thing to remember is...IF the rumors of new iMac's next week are true. Apple rumors aren't worth the "water" they're written on! When it happens it happens.

HTH,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Ttaylor394

Ttaylor394 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: '10 21.5iMac self update-1TB 16GB-'12 MBP13 self update 1TB 16gb-32GB&16gb iphones-32GB iPad,

Apple.com has refurbished macs all the time. They change their stock quite often. You could look there for a current for the current line of iMac, released mid 2010 I think, discounted with the same warranty.

21.5"iMac i3 3.06:running 10.7  500GB HD  16GB DDR3  Magic Trackpad  Black iPhone4 32GB  White iPhone4 16GB  Apple Extreme Airport Base Station 
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« My iMac Might Be Cooked - What About my Phone and Nano? | How to fix my iMac SuperDrive? »