Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1

    Member Since
    Apr 23, 2011
    Apple policy at speed bump time new i7
    First post! I've been lurking around for a bit here and have learned quite a bit about the Mac system, enough to (with my other research) decide to make the switch. I was ready to buy my new iMac 27" i7 TONIGHT! And then, I read today that Apple will be releasing the updated iMacs as soon as next week. I probably do not need whatever increase in performance this update will bring, nor do I think Thunderbolt will be a game changing technology at least not in the near future. My question is, if I buy now, what will happen to the pricing of the machine I take home when the new models arrive next week? Might it be worth waiting? Will Apple cut me a break if the price on the current model drops? My goal is to buy near the top of the iMac line with the thought of getting a good 4-5 years or more out of the system. I am a high school vocational teacher and will get the education discount. My budget is around $2200. Thanks for any suggestions, and also thanks for a well structured, polite, and informative forum. I hope to use the resources here as I learn my new system.


  2. #2

    bobtomay's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 22, 2006
    Texas, where else?
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    No, have never heard of them discounting a previously purchased system.

    Apple does have a basic policy of allowing an exchange for the newer model for purchases made within the last 14 days and we hear of some folks getting that exchange on occasion up to 30 days.

    Don't know about new iMacs in the next week or two, neither does anyone else for that matter. It's also not often that I suggest waiting to buy. But, if you don't need a new one right now, I'd probably wait for the Sandy Bridge processors to make it into the line up before purchasing. If you need one now, you're still getting a nice piece of kit.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

  3. #3

    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    If you don't feel that the performance of newer iMac's is something you REALLY need...AND if the rumors that new iMac's are coming next week are true...just wait another 7-14 days. Then buy the iMac that's available currently 1-2 weeks since Apple almost always discounts the old models somewhere around $100-$300 bucks (depending on the model).

    BUT...the important thing to remember is...IF the rumors of new iMac's next week are true. Apple rumors aren't worth the "water" they're written on! When it happens it happens.


    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  4. #4

    Ttaylor394's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 15, 2011
    West Virginia
    13in rMBP 2014 Yosemite has refurbished macs all the time. They change their stock quite often. You could look there for a current for the current line of iMac, released mid 2010 I think, discounted with the same warranty.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Mac Pro gets an unannounced speed bump
    By OneMoreThing... in forum Apple Rumors and Reports
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-12-2012, 02:21 AM
  2. XP Boot camp driver speed-bump
    By wysiwych in forum Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-03-2010, 03:04 PM
  3. iBook G4 1.2 speed bump
    By ed724 in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-07-2005, 11:56 PM
  4. Speed Bump a PowerBook...
    By in forum Schweb's Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-07-2004, 11:03 PM
  5. Apple gives iMacs a speed bump, USB 2.0 support
    By Murlyn in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-08-2003, 08:51 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts