Ex_PC_Puke
    Best way to make a mini wireless ??
    We may have to split up our office - meaning my desk and Mini would move to another room -- meaning I would be remote from our DSL node and wireless router ---------- so I already have 802.11g router which I use for my PowerBook --- the Mini is currently on wired LAN to the router

So whats the best way to make my Mini connect to our existing wireless hub ?? Does Apple make an upgrade ?? Or use 3rd party stuff

Thanks !!!! :p :p

You can add an internal airport card, but it'll cost a lot.

Specs:
    Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
    You can use a USB wireless adapter it is a quick easy installiation... something like this: USB Wireless Router It was the first thing that showed up on google, but there were plenty of links.
    My Website
    Blog
    I love my hosting company!
    I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006

Quote Originally Posted by PowerBookG4
    He needs a wireless adapter, not a wireless router. When looking for a wireless adapter pay close attention to make sure they support OS X, a have noticed a lot of external wifi adapters don't, like Dlink who makes a really nice small adapter but doesn't provide OS X support.

Specs:
    lol oops that is actually a typo... the link brings him to an adapter
    My Website
    Blog

Specs:
    MacBook
    Quote Originally Posted by PowerBookG4
    You can use a USB wireless adapter it is a quick easy installiation... something like this: USB Wireless Router It was the first thing that showed up on google, but there were plenty of links.
    From that page:
    There are no MAC drivers.
    That doesn't necessarily mean it won't work, but its likely not worth the effort.
    IMO, the best way to go is the AirPort Extreme card. You can get a refurbed one for $69 on the Apple Store site.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
    MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
    Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y
    IMO, the best way to go is the AirPort Extreme card. You can get a refurbed one for $69 on the Apple Store site.
    To get that working in the mini you'll also need the mezzanine board and antenna, which will cost about $60 together. You can find them at http://www.mac-pro.com/

Specs:
    MacBook
    Quote Originally Posted by mynameis
    To get that working in the mini you'll also need the mezzanine board and antenna, which will cost about $60 together. You can find them at http://www.mac-pro.com/
    Pardon my possible ignorance, but the the Mini is AirPort Extreme ready. Why would one need anything more than an AirPort Extreme card?

MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
    Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

Specs:
    12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
    yea i thought that you could just plug in a AE card and the wire be installed already

JMan09
    Couldn't he also plug it into an airport express and that recieves the wireless signal?

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by JMan09
    Couldn't he also plug it into an airport express and that recieves the wireless signal?
    Yes he could do this if the network is set up correctly and the only easy way to do that is have a Airport extreme on the other side. Now I doubt his company is gonig to want to upgrade the wireless network to apple just so he can go online.. but yes this is possible.. the airport express cost ~$150
    My Website
    Blog

Specs:
    PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
    Pardon my possible ignorance, but the the Mini is AirPort Extreme ready. Why would one need anything more than an AirPort Extreme card?
    No it is not. To add Airport Extreme on the mini, an additional Mezzanine card (as stated before) is needed, which also holds the Bluetooth module. And the antenna has to be installed as well.
    Unlike all other Macs, the Mac mini is not immediately Airport-ready, and Apple usually doesn't sell the mezzanine card and antennas separately. You have to bring your mini to an authorised Apple service, and they can install you what you need...for money, of course.

Harryc
    Alternatives can be found if you look around. This one is 802.11b. Perhaps that fills your requirements. I bet you'd find a similar G device with some research.

http://www.macwireless.com/html/prod...ds/11bUSB.html

Why would one need anything more than an AirPort Extreme card?
    Thats just how it is built, I opened my mini, there is no place for an airport card, but I do see the place for the mezzanine board would go. Apple site is down now, but I think it is listed as Airport Extreme Optional, not AirPort Extreme Ready.

Specs:
    MacBook
    Quote Originally Posted by mynameis
    ... I think it is listed as Airport Extreme Optional, not AirPort Extreme Ready.
    Come to think of it, you're right. It never was listed as AirPort Extreme Ready...good call.
    Kinda sucky, if you ask me, but then again I would personally never buy a Mini anyway. The eMac is a much better option if you ask me, but that is for another thread I am sure :black:

Thread Information