New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

imac g4 memory upgrade options

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MacB8con8tor

MacB8con8tor is on a distinguished road

I have an iMAC G4 20inch with 1.25 Ghz 160GB HD but only 1gb ram. I have read on some other forums that Apple has set the max upgrade to 1gb. But some posters are saying they have successfully upgraded to 2gb. I wanted to know if anyone has pushed this to 3 or 4gb. I know this Mac is a bit dated but its been reliable and is in dire need of a speed upgrade.

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacB8con8tor View Post
I have an iMAC G4 20inch with 1.25 Ghz 160GB HD but only 1gb ram. I have read on some other forums that Apple has set the max upgrade to 1gb. But some posters are saying they have successfully upgraded to 2gb. I wanted to know if anyone has pushed this to 3 or 4gb. I know this Mac is a bit dated but its been reliable and is in dire need of a speed upgrade.

Thanks!
According to EveryMac, the official max capacity is 1 GB, but they do confirm that unofficially, 2GB will work.
iMac G4/1.25 20-Inch "FP" (USB 2.0) Specs (iMac USB 2.0, M9290LL/A, PowerMac6,3, N/A, N/A) @ EveryMac.com

EDIT: As for more than 2GB, that's highly unlikely. You would need a pair of DDR PC2700, 200-pin sticks at 2GB each, and it doesn't appear they even come in that size. And even if they did, there may be other limitations preventing their use.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
hugtheslug

hugtheslug is a jewel in the roughhugtheslug is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2013 MacBook Air i5 13" / MacBook C2D 2.13GHz / iMac G5 iSight 1.9GHz / iMac G5 1.6 GHz / Pismo G4

Hi, I have exactly the same machine running Leopard superbly on 1.5gb RAM.
It has one pc2700 1gb stick up inside (desktop RAM) and a 512mb laptop module under the base, but the max you can have is 2gb - 1gb in each slot.
If yours is currently 2 x 512mb I would change the one in the base to 1gb and see how you go, because to upgrade the other RAM is a pig to do.
I think the RAM needs to be low density or it won't work. Apple branded will obviously work fine, but be more expensive.

Hope this helps, cheers

Hugh

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.
Warning - this user has only a little knowledge
QUOTE Thanks
Jsug940

Jsug940 is on a distinguished road

I have an iMac and I haven't downloaded any new fonts (that I know of). Both Safari and Firefox display a font that's real skinny and all bunched together. It's definitely readable (it's not symbols or anything) but I have to look close and squint my eyes! It's so annoying! The only new thing I have done is I installed the new Firefox 4. But I don't know why this would affect Safari..? I turned on my computer in Safe Mode to see what would happen and it actually fixed the problem. But once I started it in normal mode again, that font came back. Please help! Sooo frustrated. (I can send a pic via email if that helps.) Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
hugtheslug

hugtheslug is a jewel in the roughhugtheslug is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2013 MacBook Air i5 13" / MacBook C2D 2.13GHz / iMac G5 iSight 1.9GHz / iMac G5 1.6 GHz / Pismo G4

I would start a new thread with that question

Cheers

Hugh

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.
Warning - this user has only a little knowledge
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Turn Old PowerMac G3/G4 into Media Server | Font is messed up in web browsers (Safari and Firefox). How do I fix this? »