New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Question about iMac and Cinema Display

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tvick47

tvick47 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 17" i7 2.2

I was thinking about getting an iMac whenever they're updated next with Sandy Bridge. I already own a MacBook Pro and Cinema Display, and I had a question about the Cinema Display and iMac.

Do they line up correctly? As in, do the screens on both line up nicely so they can be extended with no (vertical) space between?

It'd seem stupid for Apple to make two products with the same screen sizes and stands that don't line up correctly, so I just wanted to double check, since the iMac has the little aluminum ridge and the Cinema doesn't.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvick47 View Post
I was thinking about getting an iMac whenever they're updated next with Sandy Bridge. I already own a MacBook Pro and Cinema Display, and I had a question about the Cinema Display and iMac.

Do they line up correctly? As in, do the screens on both line up nicely so they can be extended with no (vertical) space between?

It'd seem stupid for Apple to make two products with the same screen sizes and stands that don't line up correctly, so I just wanted to double check, since the iMac has the little aluminum ridge and the Cinema doesn't.
That's an interesting question, though I wouldn't go so far to call it stupid if they don't line up. I can't say from personal observation, but let's check the specs.

The 27" iMac and 27" Cinema Display both have the same native resolution of 2560 by 1440, which is a positive. As for the relevant dimensions:

27" Cinema Display:
Height: 19.35 inches (49.1 cm)
Width: 25.7 inches (65 cm)

27" iMac:
Height: 20.4 inches (51.7 cm)
Width: 25.6 inches (65.0 cm)

So it's close, but no cigar, although I wouldn't completely rule out the possibility that the iMac has slightly more black glass space above the usable display, in which case maybe they do line up perfectly. Otherwise, since the Cinema Display is slightly lower, perhaps you could simply add a rubber riser or something underneath the stand to line it up.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
tvick47

tvick47 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 17" i7 2.2

It appears that the bezel of glass on the iMac and Cinema are the same size, meaning the height isn't offset and they don't line up

That just seems weird to me, since they're obviously designed to the same specs and ALMOST the same dimensions. You'd think that they would want to have the displays line up right?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Pc to iMac question | Dual cinema display problem and Mac Pro »