Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    msett
    not really a switcher but ?
    Hey,

I use to post here like a year ago but my username no longer works. I owned a powerbook G4 that I used for school. Dont really use it much anymore sadly because its not fast enough for me. lol I always will probably not just switch to Apple but I love them and will always use Apple's and PC's. Anyways I am getting a job soon and hope to start makin some money. I would like to buy a reasonable priced new mac. Mac mini? What are your thoughts? Or maybe a refurbished imac G5. Powermac G5 might be out of my price range. When is intelmacs going to start coming out? Worth waiting for?

Matt

I believe the intelmacs are coming out in 2007 for consumers (I think I read that) no need to wait in my opinion.... good luck with the job!
    www.idadgraphics.com
    I started using PS from finding this forum and all the help I have gotten here thru the years is immeasurable
    thank you MacForums and all it's members

MightyMac
    Quote Originally Posted by iNAP
    I believe the intelmacs are coming out in 2007 for consumers (I think I read that) no need to wait in my opinion.... good luck with the job!
    Agreed. I wouldn't wait either. Get one now and benefit from a tried and tested system. If you wait for the intel mac, prices will probably be on the high end since its new technology. It's also a first generation. I've had MUCH better performance experiences with subsequent generations. That's just me. There are a lot of benefits to getting a product hot off the press, as long as you don't mind wearing the guinea pig hat once and a while.
    Good luck. :yinyang:

UncSki1218
    I wouldnt get a mini. If the g4 power wasnt enough the mini won't be much faster. I would look into an imac g5 or MAYBE an emac. Don't wiat for the mactels. It shoudnt make a huge difference. Good luck

I think the best deal right now is the refurb iMac 17in for $900.

msett
    Quote Originally Posted by mynameis

Thought that was great deal also. Probably not buying for several months though. FYI: my powerbook G4 is actually only 867 mhz so not fast really. Dont know what I will get. Probably cant afford PM G5

Matt

msett
    Quote Originally Posted by mynameis
    Its now like 1100 now, what happen?

Matt

msett
    mac mini or imac?
    I cant decide which is better for me. I own a powerbook g4 867mhz that I dont really use now. Sister really uses. I love mac so I want a new mac I can use along with my pc's. Mostly is will be used for internet/word processing and some digital camera and possibly video work for just some fun. Maybe some gaming but I never have done whole lot of gaming on a mac. How much better/faster would a 1.42 ghz mini be to my powerbook? Also what is that equivilent to in P4? Mini is really nice. But I love imac because of the powerful g5 1.8 with built in 17 inch lcd, speakers, keyboard,mouse and all that. Truthfully, do I need all that power? Probably not but it would be nice to have to be able to play with. Basically an imac will just take me longer to pay off and more of my job money will go towards it. Whats your advice?

Sorry for long post
    Matt

Specs:
    MacBook
    I would go for the refurbed iMac. Cheaper than a Power Mac, and would be a big improvement over your PowerBook.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
    MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
    Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

Specs:
    Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
    Go for the mini...
    if you're getting something on credit, don't splurge.
    Get the mini, you'll be fine with it.

msett
    Now I can reply since its unlocked. I just love how compact the imac is but it comes with screen and built in speakers. I figured also if I am going to spend the money I should spend it on a good imac but I guess mini wouldnt be bad either. I would really not be getting a credit card for this. Just loan through my dad with some sorta downpayment. I am 16 and interviewing for my first job tomorrow and I am pretty confident I will get it. I will be making around 400 a month. So 3 months I will have 1200 but will put downpayment at first and pay 100 month for 12 months sorta. So do you guys probably think I would just be more happy with a Imac? Keep in mind I have a P4 2.6 ghz laptop and P4 3.4 GHZ desktop so I dont want to be dissapointed with speed so thinkin Imac would be better.

Matt

Berman
    Quote Originally Posted by msett
    Now I can reply since its unlocked. I just love how compact the imac is but it comes with screen and built in speakers. I figured also if I am going to spend the money I should spend it on a good imac but I guess mini wouldnt be bad either. I would really not be getting a credit card for this. Just loan through my dad with some sorta downpayment. I am 16 and interviewing for my first job tomorrow and I am pretty confident I will get it. I will be making around 400 a month. So 3 months I will have 1200 but will put downpayment at first and pay 100 month for 12 months sorta. So do you guys probably think I would just be more happy with a Imac? Keep in mind I have a P4 2.6 ghz laptop and P4 3.4 GHZ desktop so I dont want to be dissapointed with speed so thinkin Imac would be better.

Matt
    Save up and get the 20" imac. Having a big screeen rocks.

Specs:
    iMac G5
    Now I would beg to differ on this one. I got a 17 inch because I did not like how big the 20 inches were. Plus if you have a second monitor, it's the bigger. Also, it's exactly the same (processor, ram, hdd) just bigger. I thought the 20 inche was clunkier, plus i take my imac between my garage and bedroom sometimes. so, that's my 2 cents. yeah. its cheaper too. you dont need a monitor that big. atleast i dont. and i'd prefer 2 smaller monitors over 1 bigger one (only by 3 inches) ANYDAY.

msett
    What is 1.8 G5 equivilent to for Pentium 4? Dont be bias because I am buying mac either, just want you opinion. Is 1.8 to 2.0 worth the extra 200? I am tight on cash.

Matt

Thread Information