New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Opinions on choosing an emac.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

IBOOKCLAMSHELL8

IBOOKCLAMSHELL8 is on a distinguished road

Ever since I've seen the emac at my school I have wanted one. I am thinking of buying one but I have a question on what is a good choice. I found one on ebay that says it has 1.25 Ghz. With 1.25 Ghz, will this machine play youtube videos with no problem, no lagging or freezing. I would love to have an apple as a main computer but the one I have just isn't cutting it. Also, the full specs of the machine are 1.25 Ghz, 512 MB of RAM, and has a 40 GB HDD. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

-Dan
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

You have to keep some things in mind when deciding to buy an eMac:

1. It's an old machine that is powered by a PPC processor which means you'll be locked out of the latest operating system and applications. The latest OS you can run on that machine is Leopard 10.5.8.

2. The monitor is a CRT type which when old have a high failure rate.

As long as you know what you're getting into, you might as well look for the best deal on used eMac machines. eBay is not always the best place to buy something like that since chances are it will be overpriced.

If I were you, I'd save up my money and buy a used Intel Mac. Maybe a MacBook or iMac.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

And if you must go for an eMac, look for the 1.42GHz model, the last model eMac. The 1.25 model is very prone to burst and leaking capacitors. Do a Google and see this problem.

https://discussions.apple.com/messag...sageID=2071244

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« G5 wont recognize external hard drive?! | MBP Memory from Crucial »