iMac password question
    First time posting here, I need help with logging on to another account on my imac. this account is my original account with all of my info, music, etc saved on to it. I recently got my computer back and when i went to log into my account the password was not working, after a few tries, i reset the password using terminal due to the fact that i do not have the original start up disk. this ended up creating another account however, then i tried backing up all my info from my external hard drive, however it didnt do anything to the new account created. Next i tried restoring my info from carbonite and this did nothing as well. Finally i went into system preferences and noticed my old account still on the computer, and the new account being admin account as well, i reset the others password, tried logging in and still was told i had not entered the right password, and finally i put the old account to having no password, tried logging in once more and still was told i had not entered the correct password. anybody think they can help with this dilemma? either a way to get back onto my old account, or restore my original settings onto the new account and not the old one.

Nambucca Heads Australia
    iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.11.1.
    G'day and welcome to the forumsd.

You need the install discs.
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
    You could enable Root logon, and then all the user accounts are wide open and files can be dragged and dropped between them. Be careful, though, because as Root, you can quickly munge things up if you move the wrong file into the wrong place. As long as you're only working with user files, you should be fine, but stay out of the /Library or /System files.

Thread Information