New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Installing 2+4 GB RAM vs 2x2 GB

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

50voltphantom

50voltphantom is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo - eMac 1.42 GHz (RIP) - iMac G3 400 MHz - iPad 2 16GB

On OWC's site they say my 20" iMac can handle up to 6GB of RAM. It is my understanding that Mac's generally prefer matched pairs of RAM so I'm wondering if I might see only a marginal improvement in performance over my current 2 x 2GB configuration, or will adding another 2GB really get me the full benefit of 6GB?

The reason I ask is that I'm anticipating upgrading my hardware (more RAM, possibly an SSD) to better handle Lion when it comes out this summer. I'm wondering if my money might be better spend just switching to an SSD and leaving the RAM at 4GB. I'm anticipating Lion to be even more of a RAM hog than Snow Leopard.

Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo 4 GB RAM 500 GB HD OS 10.6.8 Magic Trackpad- eMac 1.42 GHz (RIP) - iMac G3 Grape 400 MHz 1GB RAM 40GB HD OS 10.4.11 iSub - iPad 2 16GB - iPod Classic 120 GB - iPod Shuffle 2nd Gen 1GB - Apple TV 2
QUOTE Thanks
bentharbour

bentharbour has a spectacular aura about

I will offer my experience as a possible solution to your question.

I have a 2010 27" iMac i3, and I bought two 4 GB Ram from OWC, I put these two sticks in the two bottom ports of my iMac (in addition to the two "stock" 2 GB sticks)...I immediately noticed a substantial difference. I did a test right before adding the ram which consisted of running 5 Movies simultaneously, opening word, mail, itunes, safari, and final cut. When I opened the programs, they all opened slow and the movies all stopped flowing, instead ran very poorly.

After I added the ram, I noticed a substantial increase in production under the same test. The movies ran more fluently and there was not much of a "lag" when I opened the programs.

Although it is a different generation iMac, I hope this answers your question.

 15" MBPr (2012): 2.3Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, 256 GB SSD  24" Apple Cinema Display  iPhone 5 16GB Black  iPad 2 16GB White
QUOTE Thanks
Ttaylor394

Ttaylor394 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: '10 21.5iMac self update-1TB 16GB-'12 MBP13 self update 1TB 16gb-32GB&16gb iphones-32GB iPad,

I would venture to say the Cost/benefit will be very bad if you consider the the SSD option. The ram option will be much cheaper.

I'm no expert, but no matter where the OS (Lion) is stored, HHd or SSD, you will need ram to run it. I understand an SSD to make boot time faster. I think the actual operation of the SSD will lean towards ram and the CPU. I would buy ram, cheaper and I think you wiuld notice more of a difference with the Lion update rather than the SSD.
I doubt they have released recommended specs for lion yet. Check those out before you buy anything.

21.5"iMac i3 3.06:running 10.7  500GB HD  16GB DDR3  Magic Trackpad  Black iPhone4 32GB  White iPhone4 16GB  Apple Extreme Airport Base Station 
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Go with the Mercury Extreme SSD from OWC. It is the best upgrade you can make and if you use intensive apps, also upgrade the memory also.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
bornforchess

bornforchess is on a distinguished road

so did you end up buying 6GB or 4 GB? im in a same boat. which one should i buy? :S
QUOTE Thanks
Phacade

Phacade will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 21" 3.6GHz Core i5 iMac, 12GB Crucial RAM

I too added 8GB of RAM for a total of 12GB and my iMac LOVES it. As Bentharbour said, however, you do have a different generation of iMac though.

21" 3.6GHz Core i5 iMac "Sputnik" ■ 12GB Crucial RAM ■ Monsoon flat-panel speakers ■ HP P1006 LaserJet printer ■ Full Keyboard ■ Canoscan 9000F flatbed scanner ■ ...and then of course me (being a narcissist, I consider this to be the most important mod).
QUOTE Thanks
50voltphantom

50voltphantom is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo - eMac 1.42 GHz (RIP) - iMac G3 400 MHz - iPad 2 16GB

To clarify, the heart of my RAM question is whether or not my computer will care if it sees a mis-match of one 2GB stick and one 4 GB stick instead of a matched pair (2x2GB, which I currently have) and not reap the full benefit of the 6GB combo. If that were the case, I'd skip the extra 2GB of RAM and just upgrade my HD to an SSD.

Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo 4 GB RAM 500 GB HD OS 10.6.8 Magic Trackpad- eMac 1.42 GHz (RIP) - iMac G3 Grape 400 MHz 1GB RAM 40GB HD OS 10.4.11 iSub - iPad 2 16GB - iPod Classic 120 GB - iPod Shuffle 2nd Gen 1GB - Apple TV 2
QUOTE Thanks
bentharbour

bentharbour has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50voltphantom View Post
To clarify, the heart of my RAM question is whether or not my computer will care if it sees a mis-match of one 2GB stick and one 4 GB stick instead of a matched pair (2x2GB, which I currently have) and not reap the full benefit of the 6GB combo. If that were the case, I'd skip the extra 2GB of RAM and just upgrade my HD to an SSD.
If that is the case, you would be buying a 4GB stick anyway...why would you take 1 2GB stick out and put in a 4 GB? Why not just add the 4 GB stick and have a total of 8 GB?

Maybe you have plans for the other 2GB, or maybe I missed something I don't know.

 15" MBPr (2012): 2.3Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, 256 GB SSD  24" Apple Cinema Display  iPhone 5 16GB Black  iPad 2 16GB White
QUOTE Thanks
iHarrison

iHarrison can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttaylor394 View Post
I would venture to say the Cost/benefit will be very bad if you consider the the SSD option. The ram option will be much cheaper.

I'm no expert, but no matter where the OS (Lion) is stored, HHd or SSD, you will need ram to run it. I understand an SSD to make boot time faster. I think the actual operation of the SSD will lean towards ram and the CPU. I would buy ram, cheaper and I think you wiuld notice more of a difference with the Lion update rather than the SSD.
Yes and no...

While you're right that upgrading the RAM is the more cost-effective option out of the two possible upgrades, and the one that will provide more noticeable immediate improvements, if you really want your Mac (or PC, for that matter, this applies to all computers) to fly it is worth upgrading to an SSD.

Not just because of better boot & App launch times, but because of virtual memory. OSX (and Windows too) uses a certain amount of the HDD to supplement the RAM, in the case of Snow Leopard I think it's in the region of 10GB. That's why you should always leave at least that much space unused - as "breathing room" for the OS - on your primary Macintosh boot drive.

While upgrading from an ordinary hard disk to a solid-state drive won't increase the size of your virtual memory - Snow Leopard / Lion / whatever will still only allocate the same 10GB for VM - what it will do is speed it up (the same as replacing the RAM in your Mac with the same amount, but supporting a higher frequency).

The read/write speed of SSDs is significantly higher than ordinary HDDs (even 7200rpm "high speed" drives), meaning that OSX will be able to access the virtual memory significantly faster; and so speed-up the system as a whole.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Upgrade new iMac's hard drive? | How to clear HD before recycling on a dead imac G4 »