New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Need urgent help on Sawtooth stucked at Open Firmware screen

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Macjaime

Macjaime is on a distinguished road

Hello.

I've got a G4 Graphite Sawtooth Powermac running a Newertech MaxPower 2.0MHZ processor upgrade for about 3 years. It is running Leopard (10.5.8) system.
I've also installed a Seritek 1S2 card with a 500GB Sata disk.

Some days ago I've started to notice that sometimes when I did Log Off or Shut down the Mac cleaned all the desktop icons but then nothing happens.
Also, it started to freeze sometimes doing some tasks like open apps or working on Photoshop.
Today the Mac refused to boot on the main system disk (I have a secondary 80GB disk with Tigger installed on it).
Then I ran TechTool Pro Disck scan and it gave me an error on scanning the main disk.
I've booted into the Tiger disk (a 80GB one) and think to myself if this could be something to do with the Seriteck card or driver, or something related to it...
I've loaded the Seritek install CD and click the install firmware of the Seriteck disk, then I've booted and... it stucked on Open Firmware forever.
It is on the welcome screen of the open firmware and I can't do anything.
It says" To continue booting, type "mac-boot" and press return", but I can't type anything because it looks freezed and my keyboard don't respond.

I've tryed the firmware boot (that one with the long beep pressing the programmer button) at no avail.

Tried to remove the battery from mainboard.
Tried to reboot from install disk pressing option+command+shift+delete.

I'm desesperate. I'm a freelancer and I've goot importante work to deliver to clients and I can't get my Mac to to boot into the system.

At this point I just want to boot normally into Tiger, Leopard, whatever.
I just need to boot and recover my works.

See screenshot of Open Firmware screen here:
ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

Can someone please help?

Thank you for your time,
Macjaime
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

Remove the Seritek card and the SATA drive. Never had much joy with them back in G4 days with a 1.25GHz FW800 MDD. Think from your description either the card or the drive has failed. The 80GB drive is installed in the G4? You may have to install leopard on that.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
Macjaime

Macjaime is on a distinguished road

Harry,

thank's for your replay!
I'm getting something...

Yes, the 80GB disk is the original main disk and have Tiger installed on it.

I've removed the Seritek Sata card and system rebooted without stuck in the open firmware’s default catch screen

After an initian long waite I managed to finish boot and load Tiger.

I then tryed again to connect the Sata disk and the Seritek card but again comes the Open Firmware screen.
So, it's prooved to be something with the Sata card or disk.
It is not the cable (I've tested with another one).

Could be the Seriteck card damaged, or it is needing some new drivers?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMac to Macbook Pro clone | Mac Classic 2 »