New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Mac mini (late 2009) hard drive upgrade

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cablett_ndv

cablett_ndv is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Pro Dual 2.66Ghz, mini 2.26Ghz, iMac G3 400Mhz

I have a mac mini (late 2009). Does any one know what the biggest (maximum) hard drive that could be installed in this unit? Also, what about ram? Thanks!

Nick
QUOTE Thanks
indychris

indychris will become famous soon enough

Assuming it's the newer design aluminum body you can install up to 8GB RAM (2X4). As for the hard drive, it should accept any 2.5" SATA drive, which assuming you are upgrading to either increase speed or size, it would likely mean a 750GB 7200rpm or a 1TB 5400rpm.

I've installed two Scorpio Black 750GB in my Mini Server. Works great as my HTPC.
QUOTE Thanks
cablett_ndv

So then there is currently no limit? What ever fits should work then?

Nick
QUOTE Thanks
indychris

Quote:
Originally Posted by cablett_ndv View Post
So then there is currently no limit? What ever fits should work then?
The only concern I would have is with the thickness of a 1TB sata drive. My Scorpio Black drives are 9.5mm thick, and I know some others are 12.5mm. I do remember reading somewhere that the 12.5 was too think, but I've also read where people have fit the 12.5mm in with just some minor mods.

I guess if I were you, I'd stick with a drive that's 9.5mm 2.5" sata. Anything in that offering should work fine for you.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 4, 3 iPods, OS X 10.9.2

As far as I know, the 12.5 MM thickness restriction only effects MacBooks and MBP machines where the HDD slot is limited in depth. There's more room in the Mini to place a thicker drive. The 12.5 MM 1 TB drive should be OK to use.

He can always double check by going to iFixit: The free repair manual and look at the instructions for swapping out a hard drive in the Mini.
QUOTE Thanks
indychris

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
As far as I know, the 12.5 MM thickness restriction only effects MacBooks and MBP machines where the HDD slot is limited in depth. There's more room in the Mini to place a thicker drive. The 12.5 MM 1 TB drive should be OK to use.

He can always double check by going to iFixit: The free repair manual and look at the instructions for swapping out a hard drive in the Mini.
You may well be right, but I know in my 2009 mini server, the lower bay is pretty tight. 3mm tight? Maybe not. I've not tried it.
QUOTE Thanks
cablett_ndv

Dammit! indychris was correct. 1tb hard drive is to thick in the lower left corner and won't slide in. Guess I will go with 750gb.

Nick
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 4, 3 iPods, OS X 10.9.2

Yep, looks like Chris was right. The new Mini has more room - that's why I advised you to go to ifixit to make sure. Unless you change out the bracket you'll need to stick with the 9.5 MM drives.
QUOTE Thanks
cablett_ndv

How do i change the bracket?

Nick
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

The bracket kits are sold by some vendors on the net. OWC may have one. But look carefully at the kits because some of them will state they're for converting an optical drive while others are for the 3.5" drive which is too large.
QUOTE Thanks
cablett_ndv

But i want to keep the optical drive. Is there anything that allows you to keep the optical drive and still fit the 12.5mm hard drive?

Nick
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Unfortunately, doing some more research shows that the only way you can fit that larger drive or an additional SSD would be to use the kit from OWC.

However, Western Digital will soon be coming out with a 9.5 MM drive that is 1 TB. They've announced it some time ago but I still haven't seen one on the market yet. For now, go ahead and install the 750 GB version. Later on you can always update again. When the 1 TB is available, you can use the 750 GB as an external HD for Time Machine backups.
QUOTE Thanks
cablett_ndv

Thanks for the help. Just finish installing the 750 gb drive and 8 gb ram. I guess if i ever do need the 1 tb then i'll look into other drives later. But for now i'll see how long this will last me.

Nick
QUOTE Thanks
kabeyun

kabeyun is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Unfortunately, doing some more research shows that the only way you can fit that larger drive or an additional SSD would be to use the kit from OWC.

However, Western Digital will soon be coming out with a 9.5 MM drive that is 1 TB. They've announced it some time ago but I still haven't seen one on the market yet.
Just spotted it.
Newegg.com - Western Digital Scorpio Blue WD10TPVT 1TB 5200 RPM 8MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Notebook Hard Drive -Bare Drive
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

'Fraid not. That's still a 12.5 mm drive.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« PowerMac G5 not fully booting | Superdrive Problems »