New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac G5 Boots, but no display.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

alterfox

alterfox is on a distinguished road

Hello! I need some advice. My iMac G5 (OS x v10.4) currently boots (makes startup sound and I can hear it running) but no display shows up at all. It is black/gray. I can press F15 and adjust the brightness from black to a lighter gray, and when I press random keys it makes the little 'stop pressing random buttons' noise, if you know what I mean. I know almost nothing about macs, so I apologize for my naivety.

This started happening when my niece plugged her hair iron into the power strip. My lamp and iMac were also plugged in, and the light started flickering on and of. I told her to unplug it quickly, and she did, and my mac shut down. I guess it was a power surge of some kind.

I am not confident this is an easy, cheap fix situation. Looks pretty grim. But I would appreciate some educated opinions very much. Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

If the screen lights up but you're not getting any video, that would indicate a possible problem with the GPU or maybe even the logic board itself. Hook up an external monitor to your iMac and see if you can get video on the screen. Let us know.
QUOTE Thanks
alterfox

alterfox is on a distinguished road

Okay, I will get a hold of one and let you know! Thanks for responding
QUOTE Thanks
Lost_Boy

Lost_Boy is on a distinguished road

Hi I am having the same problem. I was in the middle of watching a video on Netflix and my screen suddenly went light gray. But, the audio for the video continued to play just fine and when I restart with an external monitor hooked up I still see the OSX star field and was even able to login by tabbing from the login to password field.

But the display on the imac is still light gray.

I have tried unplugging it from the power cable and letting it sit, I have rebooted and reset the PRAM and tried rebooting with an OSX disk in the drive. None of that has restored the display.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

Try resetting the SMC and good luck.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3964

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« formatting a replacement hard drive in an emac | QMaster, Render Farm, Power share from PPC to intel Mac? »