New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

confused about ram (dual g4 1ghz MDD)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

nutter

nutter is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: dual g4 1ghz

so im about to get some more ram
and i go to crucial
but theres 2 types of ram for my computer

DDR
http://www.crucial.com/store/MPartsp...&WSPN=CT259532

and SDRAM
http://www.crucial.com/store/MPartsp...&WSPN=CT242177

the SDRAM costs about $50 more, and on the page it sais theres only 3 slots for ram, when i know there is 4, and the DDR sais there is 4....
my guess is its the ddr, but i just want to be sure
the ram i have now is ddr sdram
so that got me confused
thanks for the help
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Your system has 4 slots of PC2700 DDR SDRAM 184-pin

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

Like trpnmonkey41 stated, your MDD takes PC2700 DDR SDRAM. What that 2nd link you gave is for is the Quicksilver with a 1Ghz G4. The MDD is a different system. I have seen a lot of people confused by that, but both the older Quicksilver G4's and the newer MDD's both had a 1Ghz model.
QUOTE Thanks
nutter

nutter is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: dual g4 1ghz

alright, cool
i thught it was the ddr version, i just wanted to be positive before i ordered
thank you

also, one more thing
i heard a while back that the mdd takes up to 2gb of ram but only uses a total of 1.5

is this true?
QUOTE Thanks
Avalon

Avalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutter
...i heard a while back that the mdd takes up to 2gb of ram but only uses a total of 1.5

is this true?
Again, that 1.5GB-limit is for the Quicksilver (which has 3 SDRAM-slots), not the MDD (4 DDR-RAM slots).

The MDD can take and use up to 2GB of RAM. According to Apple, it can take 1GB-modules, but won't recognise more than 2GB.
I didn't have the money yet to try if it might recognise more, as is the case with some older Macs. :cool:
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMac G5 sound | i got the sweetest deal on a mini today at compusa »