New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Powermac with Nvidia 6800 Ultra

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

gsmithp

gsmithp is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 5,5

I just picked up a nice Powermac G5 for my grandkids to use with games when they visit. I changed out the 5200 graphics card for a GeForce 6800 Ultra expecting to see some speed gains. I know little about gaming . . actually nothing so I compared utube videos before and after the swap I was surprised to see it is now actually slower, jerky with the newer, faster Ultra card. I did some searching for clues and did find many comments that refer to the Ultra card only in use with Tiger 10.4. I'm running Leopard 10.5.8. Is that actually a problem? I do have a 10.4.11 OSX disc so do I need to replace Leopard with Tiger to get this card to work properly? I'm ok with that if it works. Before I try anything else maybe someone here can give me advice on what to do next. G5 is a 1.8 dual, 3gb ram, 250 gb hd with superdrive. Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

A 1.8GHz DP is getting on and showing its age as it was released back in June 2003 as was the 6800 Ultra. Looking at lowendmac pages they refer to the card running with Panther OS X.3 and here is that link:-

Reader Reports on Mac Nvidia 6800 graphics card

Suspect what you have is ideal for the grandkids games and leave it at that. There is getting less and less support for PowerPC machines unfortunately.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
gsmithp

gsmithp is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 5,5

Thanks for the link. Dang, I've got to start looking at the dates of these posts & forums I get my ideas from. I never would have considered updating the G5 if I'da read that link first. Sounds like I have to go back to 10.3.? to get that 6800 to work right. Isn't that what they call the 'classic' os? Eight year old grandson has already complained about the speed of my G5 imac which I thought worked great! But, the money is spent, it is what it is so I'll see if I have an old copy of panther to try it with. Thanks again for your kind assistance.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

No Classic is Mac OS 9 and earlier versions.

Grandkids complaining about lack of speed and performance ~ that is par for the course gsmithp wherever you night be. What we oldies think works great is too slow for them lol! No easy answer perhaps they might think they are lucky to have a Grandfather who went out of his way and provide any sort of a computer? If it is too slow maybe gramps should lock it away next time around?

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Desktop problem | iMac G4 Ram upgrade HELP! »