New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Must Dos

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ttuhd

ttuhd is on a distinguished road

Just got an iMac... Is there any must dos/downloads I should do/get?
QUOTE Thanks
Ttaylor394

Ttaylor394 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: '10 21.5iMac self update-1TB 16GB-'12 MBP13 self update 1TB 16gb-32GB&16gb iphones-32GB iPad,

VLC was the first thing i dl'ed it is the most encompassing video player around (every day use that is)
the standard quicktime does not play as many formats ,and to upgrade you must pay... VLC=free.. easy to use
the only downside is there are only keyboard short cuts for control though.. figured them out with trial and error..

thirdly- openoffice is a good free counter part for microsoft office.. rather than 80$ iwork

skype is good for chatting face to face with pc users (free)
facetime is the mac version, 99 cents -mac app store-

i just figured this out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Te9YNxSwzyc
its all in there but you can control your iMac with VNC mocha lite app on an ipod, iphone, or ipad

there are more but those are the ones i use the most
hope that helped

21.5"iMac i3 3.06:running 10.7  500GB HD  16GB DDR3  Magic Trackpad  Black iPhone4 32GB  White iPhone4 16GB  Apple Extreme Airport Base Station 
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Please read our forum Guidelines. Specifically this part:

Respect copyrights and the law.

Don’t discuss or conduct content theft or any other illegal activity. Period. We follow U.S. law on the forums, so just because something might be legal in your country doesn’t mean it will be allowed here. If you’re ever in doubt, contact one of the moderators before you post.

Thanks for your cooperation.
QUOTE Thanks
IWT

Location: Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
IWT is a jewel in the roughIWT is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2010 27" iMac 16GB RAM, SSD & 1TB IHD (Lion) + 2013 27" iMac Fusion SSD & 3TB IHD, 32GB (Mavericks)

Dear ttuhd

An extraordinarily difficult question to answer. It is so personal and depends on your needs, interests etc.

So here's a few (mainly free) apps which I use a lot.

VLC already mentioned. Handbrake (which works in conjunction with VLC although they are totally separate apps), is for interrogating, legally copying DVDs.

1Password is widely used by Mac folk as a very secure PW generator, PW and Log In Manager and much, much more.

Flip4Mac, free, allows you to view imagery, videos created by Windows Media Player on your Mac.

OnyX is a free Utility that tests your Mac for faults, does lots more and is a very handy Maintenance & Troubleshooting app.

I suggest that before you download the free or purchased apps, you read up on them. Macworld has numerous reviews of these and similar products. Senior Editors in Macworld regularly offer their "can't live without" apps.

They also offer their tweaks and settings for the Mac on first purchase - and on it goes.

Explore Macworld and Mac Forums for previous discussions and suggestions.

In the end, it's down to you.

Best I can offer, sorry.

Ian
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttuhd View Post
Just got an iMac... Is there any must dos/downloads I should do/get?
Sage advice for the new Mac switcher

You can also spend some time looking at the popular software on the Mac App Store.

schweb | community leader
flickr » facebook » twitter » tumblr » google+ » about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« oldschool imac going wireless? | Mac Pro sound card upgrade »