New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

PowerMac G5

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mknabster

mknabster has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: 15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac

I was just at an auction this past evening, and stumbled upon a PowerMac G5 7,3 for $110, and I had to have it so I purchased it. It has a 1.8Ghz Dual G5, 1.25GBs RAM, 150GB SATA drive, and 64MB Nvidia with the new and old Apple DVI port. So my question is, what are the max upgrades i can put in this baby, in terms of max 'unofficial' RAM and a newer GPU with the dual monitor support. Is it possible to swap out the processors themselves to a more powerful CPU, or no? I know they have 2.7 dual G5s, but i'm not sure if i could put something like that in or not.

-Matt
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mknabster View Post
I was just at an auction this past evening, and stumbled upon a PowerMac G5 7,3 for $110, and I had to have it so I purchased it. It has a 1.8Ghz Dual G5, 1.25GBs RAM, 150GB SATA drive, and 64MB Nvidia with the new and old Apple DVI port. So my question is, what are the max upgrades i can put in this baby, in terms of max 'unofficial' RAM and a newer GPU with the dual monitor support. Is it possible to swap out the processors themselves to a more powerful CPU, or no? I know they have 2.7 dual G5s, but i'm not sure if i could put something like that in or not.
First let me say that $110 is an EXCELLENT price for a dual processor Powermac G5...assuming everything is working ok. The Powermac G5 dual 1.8ghz (model Powermac 7,3)...has a max ram capacity of 4 gig, and has PCI expansion slots.

As far as the video card...the best choices for upgrading would be either a:

- Radeon 9600 128meg (2 DVI Ports)
- Radeon 9650 256meg (2 DVI Ports)

But don't be surprised if these cost close to or more than the $110 bucks you paid for the whole computer (especially the 9650)!

Another upgrade I would consider almost mandatory...is an Airport Extreme card (probably around $20-$30 + shipping on e-Bay). You will also need the special Powermac G5 external airport antenna (about $20-$30). This is assuming it doesn't already have an airport card installed & it doesn't have the antenna.

To be honest. I would quit while I was ahead...and enjoy the $110 price tag...and not put too much more into it. But I would install an airport card...and I would probably recommend increasing the ram to at least 2 gig...if not maxing it out to 4 gig.

HTH,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
mknabster

Mac Specs: 15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac

My main purpose for wanting this was for a backup to my current MBP, which by-the-way, i did the SMC reset on, and it has been lasting a bit longer now, so that's good. Yea I had it plugged in last night, it came with a Dell Ultrasharp 17in, apple keyboard, and mouse, and it flies with the 1.25 GBs of RAM installed. I'm not quite sure about the Airport card, i know it has this little hole on the back for the airport, but i'm not sure what i would plug in there. I would like to max the machine out, so i'll be looking into that, but i probably will get the 256 ATI, but if i install that with its current Nvidia card, would I be able to use 3 monitors with it? It has a DVI and ADC on one card, so i would need an adapter for the ADC.

-Matt
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I would like to max the machine out, so i'll be looking into that, but i probably will get the 256 ATI, but if i install that with its current Nvidia card, would I be able to use 3 monitors with it? It has a DVI and ADC on one card, so i would need an adapter for the ADC.
The video card is usually installed in an 8x AGP slot (different from the PCI expansion slots)...thus you would only be able to install 1 video card. To install a 2nd video card...you would need a "PCI" video card (not too easy to find).

But if you go the 9600 or 9650 card...you would be able to have dual monitors.

If the current video card has a DVI & an ADC port...you can run dual monitors with it. But yes...you would need an ADC to DVI adapter if you don't have an older Apple monitor with an ADC cable.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
mknabster

Oh ok, that's not too big a deal then. So the rest of the slots in the machine, the black ones, are they the same as the one the video card is in? Thye all looked the same to me, I thought they were all PCI; so the video card is the only AGP slot?

-Matt
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Thye all looked the same to me, I thought they were all PCI; so the video card is the only AGP slot?
They may look the same at a quick glance...but the pin/tab configuration is different for the AGP slot (where the video card is)...compared to the PCI slots.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
mknabster

Oh ok. I'm currently doing some burning with the tower, and it's only hitting 5x max; would I be able to get a 16x burner upgrade for this.

-Matt
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Oh ok. I'm currently doing some burning with the tower, and it's only hitting 5x max; would I be able to get a 16x burner upgrade for this.
The burn speed depends on what sort of media you're burning...CD's, DVD's, etc. Here's a possibility:

Samsung SH-S222 Int 22X DVD/CD 'Super-MultiDrive' DVD... $29.99 at OWC

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
mknabster

Yea it was DVD+R going at 5x, too slow for me.

-Matt
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Do not set the burner at a set speed. Just position to 'Best' and let it run. Speeding it up too much will produce drink coasters. And it is an old machine probably with an old Superdrive also.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
mknabster

Yea that's what i have it at, best, but it's still considerably slow compared to my other external drive i have.

-Matt
QUOTE Thanks
mknabster

Oh another question, I have an HP 1040 external dvd burner; would i be able to install that in the tower, or would i need drivers for that one?

And...would this GPU work: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...deon_9250.html

-Matt
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

If the HP is an ATAPI IDE drive it may well install but may not burn any faster. Remember an internal optical drive requires a molex power connection and the IDE cable connectors. Sure the external has these?

For the price of them, get a Pioneer internal as they are as cheap as chips.

http://www.serversupply.com/products....asp?q=DVD-120

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« buying power mac g5 | Is this upgrade of ram worth it? »