Thread: Imac tick noise

Imac tick noise
    I just bought my first mac product about a week ago. I bought an iMac 27" i3. I have been hearing a faint tick noise every 10 seconds or so when I am using my mac. It doesnt happen all the time but when it does I notice a faint tick noise which seems to come from the top right of my screen. Everything seems to be working fine with the computer but I'm wondering if this faint tick noise I hear every 10 seconds or so is normal or if i should be worried about it? Like I said sometimes I dont hear it happening at all, just once in a while i'll notice it when using the computer. I'm not super computer savy so just wondering if anyone thinks this may be something to worry about or am i over reacting? Thanks for the help!!

Specs:
    MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
    Welcome to Mac-Forums Sawch

Strange that the noise is coming from the top right of the screen. I have posted a picture of the inside of the iMac in question. As you can see from it to the middle right is the Superdrive (disk player) in the middle is the hard drive (I would expect the noise to be coming from this more than anything). Are you sure it is coming from the top right? It could be how it sounds from where it is coming from and not actually where it IS coming from.

Hope this helps a little
    - Simon
    Attached Images Attached Images

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the top right of their post.
    May 2011
    Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzard2010 View Post
    Welcome to Mac-Forums Sawch

Strange that the noise is coming from the top right of the screen. I have posted a picture of the inside of the iMac in question. As you can see from it to the middle right is the Superdrive (disk player) in the middle is the hard drive (I would expect the noise to be coming from this more than anything). Are you sure it is coming from the top right? It could be how it sounds from where it is coming from and not actually where it IS coming from.

Hope this helps a little
    - Simon
    Hey, yeah I'm not totally sure if its the top right, could be more of the middle right but to be honest its hard to tell. Would this sound be something to worry about if it is coming from this middle part? Like I had said sometimes its completely quiet (it is right now) but the odd time i use it I do hear this faint tick every 10 seconds or so. Thanks for your time!!

Specs:
    MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
    It could just be the HDD accessing data at times that is making the noise. However if you are still worried about it and you still have Applecare then I would recommend you take it to your local Apple Store!

Hope this helps
    - Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the top right of their post.
    May 2011
    Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011

Thread Information