New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Looking to upgrade to an Intel iMac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

qowenp

qowenp is on a distinguished road

Hi

So I currently own an iMac G5 (1.9Ghz iSight model, 250GB HDD, 1.5GB RAM, 17" Screen.) which I use as my primary desktop machine. I also own a Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop (17" Screen, 400GB HDD, BD-RE Drive, Nvidia GeForce 8400M, Core2Duo 2.50Ghz).

I would like to get rid of both of these, and in turn buy a newer iMac with an Intel processor. The new iMac doesn't need to be super powerful, just quick enough to run new software (since my PPC iMac can't handle anything!).

How realistic is it that I could sell both and have almost enough money to buy an adequate Intel iMac.

Thanks for your time
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
How realistic is it that I could sell both and have almost enough money to buy an adequate Intel iMac.
I'm certainly no expert on used computers but it's my educated guess that even if you could sell both at a fair market price, you would still have a ways to go to buy a decent iMac. Assuming you're thinking new, not used.
QUOTE Thanks
qowenp

qowenp is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the reply.

I don't necessarily need a brand new iMac, just a decent second hand model with a good Intel processor. After quickly looking in the Buy Sell Trade forum here, I found this: http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/buy...-250gb-hd.html

It sold for $700, which in my currency works out at 430. That is a very good price, and that machine would've been perfectly adequate for what I need, but I don't seem to be able to find any on eBay for that price. I already have a buyer for my iMac G5 who are willing to give me 250 for it, which would mean I would need to get 200 for my laptop, or front the rest.
QUOTE Thanks
Ttaylor394

Ttaylor394 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: '10 21.5iMac self update-1TB 16GB-'12 MBP13 self update 1TB 16gb-32GB&16gb iphones-32GB iPad,

I just bought my first Mac on eBay and it was a few hundred cheaper than the apple.com list price (not counting the upgraded RAM). It is great for what we do; that is everyday tasks plus light iPhoto editing. I feel confident that I could do a lot more with what we have and be fine. Money was a big concern for me as well, I definitely did not try to break the bank.
In hindsight, I guess I would have been happier with 3.2i3, for more breathing room down the road.
What you buy really depends on what software you plan to use, but the intro level has served me fine these past few months.
HTH

21.5"iMac i3 3.06:running 10.7  500GB HD  16GB DDR3  Magic Trackpad  Black iPhone4 32GB  White iPhone4 16GB  Apple Extreme Airport Base Station 
QUOTE Thanks
Ttaylor394

Ttaylor394 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: '10 21.5iMac self update-1TB 16GB-'12 MBP13 self update 1TB 16gb-32GB&16gb iphones-32GB iPad,

Also, yo u could check the used Mac store at apple.com.

21.5"iMac i3 3.06:running 10.7  500GB HD  16GB DDR3  Magic Trackpad  Black iPhone4 32GB  White iPhone4 16GB  Apple Extreme Airport Base Station 
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMac on my HDTV | Mac not booting after new graphics card instal (Powermac G4) »