Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wait 4 to 6 weeks for iMac......Not me!!!!!
    I had made my mind up I was going to get a new iMac with the 2.9 Quad core processer, 2-T plus 256 SDD drive, 8 GB ram until Apple in Malaysia just told me I would have to wait 4 to 6 weeks………….and I don’t want to wait, so now I am thinking I will just go with a stock iMac (biggest in store model) and get a 11” MB Air as well…….my question is will the stock iMac be fast enough for my usage and could I upgrade the HD and Ram at a later date if need be??
    I need the computer for the items below;
    Email
    Surfing web
    Running Parallels (to check company mail)
    Analyzing my golf swing (same program as I have on my iPhone V1)
    Downloading movies
    Thanks in advance

Specs:
    27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 6S, iPod Nano 7th GeniPad 3
    The base (i3) iMac can do what you want with absolutely no problems..there's nothing there that's so demanding that you absolutely need the i7 Quad Core for..

Regards

Specs:
    Early 2012 13" MBA Core i5 1.8 GHz, 4GB RAM, 128 GB SSD, OS X 10.7.4
    Wait 4 to 6 weeks for iMac....Not me!!!!
    Any iMac should be great for what you stated. I have a 2006 iMac 2.o GHz Core Duo, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD which is still running beautifully. I run iPhoto as well as Photoshop Essentials, Ofiice 2011. I have also used Parallels to run Windows programs, including MS Office (full version), and haven't experienced any slowdowns, lockups, etc. If you want to future-proof your new iMac, order the i5 processor and get more RAM. Buy the RAM elsewhere, as Apple really charges too much for their RAM. OWC or Crucial are good choices. Hope this helps!
    TCAT

Specs:
    Early 2015 13" rMBP
    You don't need a top of the line machine for anything in that list. If you're going to be running Parallels, I'd suggest at least 4GB of RAM which they all come with now anyway.
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

Quote Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
    The base (i3) iMac can do what you want with absolutely no problems..there's nothing there that's so demanding that you absolutely need the i7 Quad Core for..

Regards
    Any idea what you can get in a "on the shelf iMac" if you walk into an Apple store............I am on a Oil Rig in Angola so cant just pop into the local Apple store. I tried looking online but whenever I go to the iMac page it takes me to the configure page so not sure what is stock or what options you can get from a high street Apple store

Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    The base model you are selecting in order to get to the configure page is what you will find in stock in most Apple stores.

You change any of those items from the default on the configure page - you just extended the time it will take for them to ship your machine.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Specs:
    Early 2015 13" rMBP
    Here you are - specific details on each of the four models available.

The lowest end iMac gives you a Core i3 (3.06Ghz), 4GB RAM, 500GB HD and an ATI Radeon HD 4670 (256MB).
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    Writing a Quality Post

Quote Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
    Here you are - specific details on each of the four models available.

The lowest end iMac gives you a Core i3 (3.06Ghz), 4GB RAM, 500GB HD and an ATI Radeon HD 4670 (256MB).
    Thanks for the link, I hope that I can get the quad core........no idea what it is but just guessing that if it is more expensive then it must be better. I will also get the 11" MB Air, hopefully with the 128 GB and 4 GB ram and off the shelf??

Specs:
    Early 2015 13" rMBP
    Just because something is more expensive doesn't make it better.

The question you need to ask yourself is the following: do you need all that power? If not, and money is an issue, don't go for the most expensive simply because it has higher specs (which you don't seem to need). If money is no issue, there is something to be said for buying the best machine possible. Ultimately, it's your call but make sure you know what you're purchasing given your needs (or lack thereof).
    Writing a Quality Post

Quote Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
    Just because something is more expensive doesn't make it better.

The question you need to ask yourself is the following: do you need all that power? If not, and money is an issue, don't go for the most expensive simply because it has higher specs (which you don't seem to need). If money is no issue, there is something to be said for buying the best machine possible. Ultimately, it's your call but make sure you know what you're purchasing given your needs (or lack thereof).
    Thanks for the comments and I appreciate you being up front.......money is not an issue, I just don’t want to buy something and two weeks later be saying I wish I had done this or that.
    From what everyone else is saying I now believe that the off the shelf is plenty big enough for anything that I need.
    If at a later date I wanted to add say a SDD drive or more ram would that be possible??

Thanks again
    Neil

Specs:
    2011 15" Macbook pro 2.2Gh Quad Core 8GB RAM and 2009 27" iMac 2.93Ghz ( Custom Mod ) Quad core and
    Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by ndwgolf View Post
    Thanks for the comments and I appreciate you being up front.......money is not an issue, I just don’t want to buy something and two weeks later be saying I wish I had done this or that.
    From what everyone else is saying I now believe that the off the shelf is plenty big enough for anything that I need.
    If at a later date I wanted to add say a SDD drive or more ram would that be possible??

Thanks again
    Neil
    Completely possible ( well depending on how computer savvy you are ) r 27" iMac comes with a HDD bay and a SSD bay to put a SSD in it's the same as if ou were just switching out your HDD and for the RAM a monkey could change the RAM blindfolded and a little intoxicated but I agree with everyone else the base i3 will jot disappoint you at all for what you'll be doing
    No and never is not in my dictionary, Anything can be done with hard work and perseverance - TheAmazingApple

Looks like I have some luck with getting the 11" MBA off the shelf with 128 GB HD but it only has 2 GB Ram...............is that going to be OK
    emails
    internet
    pictures
    wathch movies while traveling
    Could I take it to a local computer shop and have another 2 GB installed at a later date??

Specs:
    2011 15" Macbook pro 2.2Gh Quad Core 8GB RAM and 2009 27" iMac 2.93Ghz ( Custom Mod ) Quad core and
    Wink
    Quote Originally Posted by ndwgolf View Post
    Looks like I have some luck with getting the 11" MBA off the shelf with 128 GB HD but it only has 2 GB Ram...............is that going to be OK
    emails
    internet
    pictures
    wathch movies while traveling
    Could I take it to a local computer shop and have another 2 GB installed at a later date??
    I'm pretty sure samesung now sell's the new Macbook Air's type of RAM but that doesn't mean a respectable computer shop will change that part ( Just for the fact apple kinda doesn't want DIY ) but possible Yes. But for email, internet watching movies you might need 4GB of RAM if you were doing all of them at once . But in the scheme of things you will love your new computer's ( Apple specializes in computers for email, Web and watching movies)
    No and never is not in my dictionary, Anything can be done with hard work and perseverance - TheAmazingApple

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, Sierra
    @TheAmazingApple

Memory is not upgradeable in the MacBook Air. If you buy the machine with 2 GB, that's what you have to live with. The flash storage, however, can be upgraded - but it's expensive.

Specs:
    Thumbs up
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    @TheAmazingApple

Memory is not upgradeable in the MacBook Air. If you buy the machine with 2 GB, that's what you have to live with. The flash storage, however, can be upgraded - but it's expensive.
    Got mixed up :/ sorry I was wrong

Thread Information