New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Wait 4 to 6 weeks for iMac......Not me!!!!!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ndwgolf

ndwgolf is on a distinguished road

I had made my mind up I was going to get a new iMac with the 2.9 Quad core processer, 2-T plus 256 SDD drive, 8 GB ram until Apple in Malaysia just told me I would have to wait 4 to 6 weeks………….and I don’t want to wait, so now I am thinking I will just go with a stock iMac (biggest in store model) and get a 11” MB Air as well…….my question is will the stock iMac be fast enough for my usage and could I upgrade the HD and Ram at a later date if need be??
I need the computer for the items below;
Email
Surfing web
Running Parallels (to check company mail)
Analyzing my golf swing (same program as I have on my iPhone V1)
Downloading movies
Thanks in advance
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

The base (i3) iMac can do what you want with absolutely no problems..there's nothing there that's so demanding that you absolutely need the i7 Quad Core for..

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
chipz

chipz is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Early 2012 13" MBA Core i5 1.8 GHz, 4GB RAM, 128 GB SSD, OS X 10.7.4

Any iMac should be great for what you stated. I have a 2006 iMac 2.o GHz Core Duo, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD which is still running beautifully. I run iPhoto as well as Photoshop Essentials, Ofiice 2011. I have also used Parallels to run Windows programs, including MS Office (full version), and haven't experienced any slowdowns, lockups, etc. If you want to future-proof your new iMac, order the i5 processor and get more RAM. Buy the RAM elsewhere, as Apple really charges too much for their RAM. OWC or Crucial are good choices. Hope this helps!

TCAT
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

You don't need a top of the line machine for anything in that list. If you're going to be running Parallels, I'd suggest at least 4GB of RAM which they all come with now anyway.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
ndwgolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
The base (i3) iMac can do what you want with absolutely no problems..there's nothing there that's so demanding that you absolutely need the i7 Quad Core for..

Regards
Any idea what you can get in a "on the shelf iMac" if you walk into an Apple store............I am on a Oil Rig in Angola so cant just pop into the local Apple store. I tried looking online but whenever I go to the iMac page it takes me to the configure page so not sure what is stock or what options you can get from a high street Apple store
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

The base model you are selecting in order to get to the configure page is what you will find in stock in most Apple stores.

You change any of those items from the default on the configure page - you just extended the time it will take for them to ship your machine.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

Here you are - specific details on each of the four models available.

The lowest end iMac gives you a Core i3 (3.06Ghz), 4GB RAM, 500GB HD and an ATI Radeon HD 4670 (256MB).

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
ndwgolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
Here you are - specific details on each of the four models available.

The lowest end iMac gives you a Core i3 (3.06Ghz), 4GB RAM, 500GB HD and an ATI Radeon HD 4670 (256MB).
Thanks for the link, I hope that I can get the quad core........no idea what it is but just guessing that if it is more expensive then it must be better. I will also get the 11" MB Air, hopefully with the 128 GB and 4 GB ram and off the shelf??
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

Just because something is more expensive doesn't make it better.

The question you need to ask yourself is the following: do you need all that power? If not, and money is an issue, don't go for the most expensive simply because it has higher specs (which you don't seem to need). If money is no issue, there is something to be said for buying the best machine possible. Ultimately, it's your call but make sure you know what you're purchasing given your needs (or lack thereof).

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
ndwgolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
Just because something is more expensive doesn't make it better.

The question you need to ask yourself is the following: do you need all that power? If not, and money is an issue, don't go for the most expensive simply because it has higher specs (which you don't seem to need). If money is no issue, there is something to be said for buying the best machine possible. Ultimately, it's your call but make sure you know what you're purchasing given your needs (or lack thereof).
Thanks for the comments and I appreciate you being up front.......money is not an issue, I just don’t want to buy something and two weeks later be saying I wish I had done this or that.
From what everyone else is saying I now believe that the off the shelf is plenty big enough for anything that I need.
If at a later date I wanted to add say a SDD drive or more ram would that be possible??

Thanks again
Neil
QUOTE Thanks
TheAmazingApple

TheAmazingApple is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2011 15" Macbook pro 2.2Gh Quad Core 8GB RAM and 2009 27" iMac 2.93Ghz ( Custom Mod ) Quad core and

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndwgolf View Post
Thanks for the comments and I appreciate you being up front.......money is not an issue, I just don’t want to buy something and two weeks later be saying I wish I had done this or that.
From what everyone else is saying I now believe that the off the shelf is plenty big enough for anything that I need.
If at a later date I wanted to add say a SDD drive or more ram would that be possible??

Thanks again
Neil
Completely possible ( well depending on how computer savvy you are ) r 27" iMac comes with a HDD bay and a SSD bay to put a SSD in it's the same as if ou were just switching out your HDD and for the RAM a monkey could change the RAM blindfolded and a little intoxicated but I agree with everyone else the base i3 will jot disappoint you at all for what you'll be doing

No and never is not in my dictionary, Anything can be done with hard work and perseverance - TheAmazingApple
QUOTE Thanks
ndwgolf

Looks like I have some luck with getting the 11" MBA off the shelf with 128 GB HD but it only has 2 GB Ram...............is that going to be OK
emails
internet
pictures
wathch movies while traveling
Could I take it to a local computer shop and have another 2 GB installed at a later date??
QUOTE Thanks
TheAmazingApple

Mac Specs: 2011 15" Macbook pro 2.2Gh Quad Core 8GB RAM and 2009 27" iMac 2.93Ghz ( Custom Mod ) Quad core and

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndwgolf View Post
Looks like I have some luck with getting the 11" MBA off the shelf with 128 GB HD but it only has 2 GB Ram...............is that going to be OK
emails
internet
pictures
wathch movies while traveling
Could I take it to a local computer shop and have another 2 GB installed at a later date??
I'm pretty sure samesung now sell's the new Macbook Air's type of RAM but that doesn't mean a respectable computer shop will change that part ( Just for the fact apple kinda doesn't want DIY ) but possible Yes. But for email, internet watching movies you might need 4GB of RAM if you were doing all of them at once . But in the scheme of things you will love your new computer's ( Apple specializes in computers for email, Web and watching movies)

No and never is not in my dictionary, Anything can be done with hard work and perseverance - TheAmazingApple
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

@TheAmazingApple

Memory is not upgradeable in the MacBook Air. If you buy the machine with 2 GB, that's what you have to live with. The flash storage, however, can be upgraded - but it's expensive.
QUOTE Thanks
TheAmazingApple

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
@TheAmazingApple

Memory is not upgradeable in the MacBook Air. If you buy the machine with 2 GB, that's what you have to live with. The flash storage, however, can be upgraded - but it's expensive.
Got mixed up :/ sorry I was wrong

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« IMac G3 blue screen, nothing works | oldschool imac going wireless? »