New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

help with imac g5

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Peterz

Peterz is on a distinguished road

my machine is soooo slow.
It is 5 years old.
occasionally locks up and i have to unplug and reboot.
after taking over 6 minutes to boot i took it to the apple store and the "genius" ran some diagnostics and said he thought my hard drive was going.
Then told me that my machine was too old for them to work on and referred me to a local repair shop who also ran diagnostics and installed more
ram.
The first time i used it, it locked up again and then took 3 1/2 minutes to boot.
Please help
Also I bought the machine 2 weeks before the intel based machines were available, what a bummer.
Pete
QUOTE Thanks
MacDude121

MacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram

Why would the repair shop install more ram when the Apple genius said that your hard drive is going? Because from the symptoms it really seems like the most likely thing. Make a back up of your data and replace the drive.
QUOTE Thanks
chipz

chipz is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Early 2012 13" MBA Core i5 1.8 GHz, 4GB RAM, 128 GB SSD, OS X 10.7.4

I agree with MacDude121. Replace the Hard Drive. More RAM will not help if your HHD is failing. While you can, back up all your data to an outboard HDD. Run the Hardware Disc that came with your machine and see if it verifies that your HDD is dying. New Hard Drives are cheap and you may be able to replace it if you are handy with tools you will need. You can find instructions on how to do it by going to ifixit.com.

TCAT
QUOTE Thanks
Peterz

Peterz is on a distinguished road

Thanks chipz and macdude
I did not get a Hardware disk with my machine and don't have an external hard drive to back up my stuff.
What are my alternatives?
I have microsoft office for mac on my machine, Quicken and clean my mac.
Mechanically I am not bad, but have never tried working inside a computer.
Pete
QUOTE Thanks
chipz

chipz is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Early 2012 13" MBA Core i5 1.8 GHz, 4GB RAM, 128 GB SSD, OS X 10.7.4

Back up your files from Quicken and Office to either CD's or a USB drive. Most of the files usually should fit on those devices. The instructions at ifixit.com are very good and easy to follow, If you are careful, you should have no problems. If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, have a computer shop that does work on macs do it. I recommend getting a good sized HDD -
say a 320 GB or more.

TCAT
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Windows 7 on Mac | One quad-core vs. one 8-core (two quad-cores) »