New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

PowerMac Dual 1ghz ?power supply? problem

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

junglist

junglist is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4; Dual 1GHz; 1,5 GB RAM; 300 GB HDD; GeForce 4 MX 64 MB

Hi guys!

recently I got a used PowerMac G4 Dual 1GHz, 1.5 GB RAM and 300 GB HDD. I was told that it was broken. It stood abandoned in the office for a very long time. I took it home and plugged in to the socket and I found that it was working fine. Actually it was working fine for two days . On the next day I tried to turn it on with no luck. Light on the power switch lights up for a sec, fan spins for a sec and that's it. I took computer apart, tried to make it work with one memory 512, with two and with three with no luck. I checked all cables etc. Nothing. Next day in the morning I tried to boot up the G4 and success! I downloaded all the updates but when I restarted computer it didn't boot up again. I had to wait 15 minuts to boot it up again, but then after 3 minutes running system freezes and I can not do a thing. When I restart G4 it won't boot up again. Again I have to wait some time to force it to start but again after a while it freezes (I can see desktop, but can not do a thing), after restart won't boot up. Again I have to wait 20 minutes or so and it will boot up with the same result as I described above. Sometimes when the computer is switched off but plugged in to the socket I can hear ticking noise comming from the psu. Does it mean that the psu is faulty? At the moment there is 344 watt psu fitted. Any help will be much appreciated. cheers, simon
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

It does sound like the power supply may need to be replaced. Go here for the parts and instructions to change it out.

Note that this site is in the US but it's my understanding they will ship to the UK.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

No link Chairlie.

And whilst at it junglist change the PRAM battery.

http://www.macproonline.com/Replacem...-p5636694.html

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
junglist

junglist is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4; Dual 1GHz; 1,5 GB RAM; 300 GB HDD; GeForce 4 MX 64 MB

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
No link Chairlie.

And whilst at it junglist change the PRAM battery.

Replacement Power Supply for PowerMac G4 QuickSilver
Thanks for advice. I've checked the pram battery with volt meter and it shows 3.6v, which is just fine.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« EHD' with an iMac | Apple Servise Diagnostics »