New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Help with iMac G4

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Familyguy9877

Familyguy9877 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2008 Mac Pro 3,1: 3.2Ghz octo

I have two iMac G4s One Dead 1.25 17" and one working 800MHz 15" can anyone tell me if it is possible to put the 17" screen onto the 800MHz iMac?

Thanks.

QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

17 into 15 will not go!

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
Familyguy9877

Ok! are you sure?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Try having a read of this:-

Apple - Support - Discussions - Swap screens 15/17" flat panel iMac ...

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyguy9877 View Post
I have two iMac G4s One Dead 1.25 17" and one working 800MHz 15" can anyone tell me if it is possible to put the 17" screen onto the 800MHz iMac?

Thanks.

When I first saw your question I wasn't 100% sure if this was possible. On the surface you would think that all you would have to do is swap the "display & neck" of the one iMac G4...and "plug & play" onto the other iMac G4.

The complication is...this assumes that Apple used the same logic board design, same power supply, and the same connectors to plug into the logic board. Apple REALLY likes to change things...so this is not always a safe assumption.

I not 100% sure either way. I have a 1.25ghz iMac G4...and I have had it completely apart...but what I cannot say is if everything is identical to an 800mhz iMac G4. I think what you should do is start taking both of them apart...and see if everything will swap...and then updating us on what you find out!

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Familyguy9877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Togglemeister View Post
On your dead G4 imac whats the issue? Motherboard or power supply?
I'm not positive but i'm pretty sure it is the logic board because it will bong then nothing but the fan.
QUOTE Thanks
Familyguy9877

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
I think what you should do is start taking both of them apart...and see if everything will swap...and then updating us on what you find out!
The thing is i'm not sure if I want to tear up the two machines without knowing if this would work, and after reading the above link i'm not very confident.

-Eddie
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
The thing is i'm not sure if I want to tear up the two machines without knowing if this would work, and after reading the above link i'm not very confident.

-Eddie
Sometimes the answer is not always 100% clear...sometimes experimentation is necessary. Otherwise if no one experimented...we would still be living in a cave hitting each other over the heads with wooden clubs!

If you were to disassemble these two iMac G4's...and find out that the displays are or are not "swappable" then you would just reassemble them...no harm done.

In any case...if the link above gave you enough info to answer your original question...good deal!

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Mac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
I'm not positive but i'm pretty sure it is the logic board because it will bong then nothing but the fan.
Will the hard drive seek or click after the chime? Do the lcd backlamps come on at all. Shine a flash light at the screen..see anything.
QUOTE Thanks
Familyguy9877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac SK View Post
Will the hard drive seek or click after the chime? Do the lcd backlamps come on at all. Shine a flash light at the screen..see anything.
Nothing at all from the screen and i Have already removed the hard drive after this happened and it was fine.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Wireless KB and Mouse issues | Thinking about upgrading my PowerMac G5 to a Mac Pro but... »