2.5" HD in a MacPro
    Hey all,

So I recently upgraded my MacBook Pro with a 2.5" 500GB Seagate Momentus XT Hybrid hard drive. I am very happy with this drive. Boot time is much quicker, and application booting and performance has noticeably increased.

People have talked about the drive being noisy and hot. I have experienced none of these side effects.

So on to my question. I am considering purchasing another 2.5" Momentus XT drive for my Mac Pro desktop to house the OS and Applications. The reason is my Laptop (2.4 Core 2 duo, 8GB 1066mhz of ram) appears to be out performing my MacPro (Dual 2.8 quad core, 8GB 800mhz of ram) in all regular, none heavy activity.

My MacPro runs better when I'm multi tracking in Logic or working on a few large photoshop files. But still regardless of the heavy use items I think it would be worth it to upgrade my MacPro too. Does anyone have an objections with running a 2.5" drive in a 3.5" adapter in a desktop? Thoughts, concerns?

Thanks so much!

Fort Worth, Texas
    27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    Running a 2.5" drive in a 3.5" bracket adapter should work fine. No problem with that. However, taking a chance on another Seagate XT Hybrid drive may wind up being a bad roll of the dice. You've been lucky so far, don't push it any further....

Nambucca Heads Australia
    iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.11
    Whatever you get, and recommend a Mercury Extreme SSD from OWC which slaughters the Hybrid drives, just purchase an Icy Dock which will mount the 2.5" drive in the Mac Pro.
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Thread Information