New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Wireless KB and Mouse issues

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Sandy Mac

Sandy Mac is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: imac powermac6.1 G4 OS 10.4.11

Hi All

thanks in advance for any replies.
I am wondering why it is Apple designed the KB and mouse so that they have to be physically turned off at the end of the day ( if as I do you believe this will save battery life )
My daughter has a mac in her room and she has trained it to shut down through voice command when she's been watching something from her high rise bunk bed, but she still has to get back down to turn the mouse and KB off.
Can anyone provide stats on the batt life that's lost if she just leaves them turned on 24/7 or do they both auto off anyway after a time of inactivity?
( If there's already something in the system to achieve this next point please direct me.)
Can anyone name an app that takes over and turns them off through software ? If this is even possible considering they have switches.
If there's no app but the potential for one maybe some writer can create what I'm sure many users might find a useful tool ?

thanks once again

regards

Sandy Mac

I agree with Chscag
Don't forget to use our Reputation system! (The second button from the left.)
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

The keyboard and mouse, Bluetooth versions, do go to a low-power state after some inactivity. It's probably not as good as being turned off..but I keep both my keyboard and mouse turned on all the time and usually get about 4-6 months out of the AA's for the keyboard and around 3 months on the magic mouse. These are generic AA's..I tried rechargables and they seemed to perform a little worse for me..

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

Mo need to turn them off as RazOrEdge advises. Leave them on all the time, KB batteries last indefinately, Magic Mouse about two months using 6 hours per day on average. Suggest using quality batteries such as Energizer Lithium and avoid re-chargeables like the plague. They seem to develop a memory and never completely recharge alas.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
Ramimac1

Ramimac1 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2010 i3 27" 16gb Ram

I did not know apple suggested such a Mac owner now since Nov '10 and have not replaced the batteries in the keyboard or Touch pad since I got them.

Old time Computer Hardware Tech
Ohh My Typing Sucks Live with it

Snoopy is the Man !!!
QUOTE Thanks
Sandy Mac

Sandy Mac is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: imac powermac6.1 G4 OS 10.4.11

Hi there all

thanks for the comments and advice so far. Any other knowledge or details about this topic please keep it coming.

thanks

regards

Sandy Mac

I agree with Chscag
Don't forget to use our Reputation system! (The second button from the left.)
QUOTE Thanks
mapple

mapple is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 2.93 GHz Intel Core i7 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

I never turn mine off, batteries seem to last for ages. Just a side note though when i purchased a track pad i stopped using my magic mouse however i needed it this one time but my imac will not accept my mouse anymore all it does is freeze the keyboard and trackpad up forcing a plug off reboot
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Replacement DVD-RW for defective MAT****ADVD-R UJ-846 | Help with iMac G4 »