New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Stumped - can't boot

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

alex999

alex999 is on a distinguished road

Hello to everyone - I'm new here and looking to solve a difficult problem. In short I botched my bootcamp by using Paragon disc manager in Windows, to copy the same partition to an external drive, when it prompted me for a restart to continue. What I got was a black screen with a flashing - hyphen and 5 dots below it.

I then tried the Paragon DVD to repair the Bootcamp boot partition and got the same screen upon reboot.

I then tried the mac installation disc and no keyboard command would work from the bluetooth keyboard on my new 27 inch iMac. It has new freshly charged batteries which I changed again and still nothing. It only worked when pressing C with the Paragon disc. I'm stuck and yes the mouse works because we had to use it to extract the disk. The eject command on the kb didn't work.

So I'm left with the black screen and a kb that works selectively. I don't get it. I can't break through to mac or windows. Please help.
QUOTE Thanks
gsahli

gsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the rough

How about starting up using your OS X install DVD? (just don't "continue" the install)
QUOTE Thanks
alex999

That's what I'm trying to do but it doesn't anything but go back to the black screen. Forget kb commands they're not working.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Just for clarification, when you boot from the OSX disk (holding down the 'c' key) it doesn't come up to allow you do install or access disk utilities?

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
alex999

Correct. Pressing the C worked with the Paragon cd. No commands work and it's barely two months since I got it. The keyboard seems to be dead
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Very strange!
Booting while holding down the 'c' key is supposed to force the system to look for a DvD/CD disk to boot from. The fact that using the 'c' key works with your Paragon disk (I am not at all familiar with Paragon BTW) makes me think it isn't neccessarily a Keyboard issue. Can you take it to an Apple store? Since, as you said, its only 2 months old you are obviously still under warranty.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
alex999

Looks like I might have to.
QUOTE Thanks
IWT

Location: Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
IWT is a jewel in the roughIWT is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2010 27" iMac 16GB RAM, SSD & 1TB IHD (Lion) + 2013 27" iMac Fusion SSD & 3TB IHD, 32GB (Mavericks)

Try Booting while holding down the Option Key.

If no luck, hold down ctrl key; but Option Key should work.

Ian
QUOTE Thanks
alex999

That produced nothing yesterday but I'll try it again in about an hour when I can get back to it. Very frustrating.
QUOTE Thanks
alex999

OK I just tried C,D, option and nothing worked. I was only able to use the mouse and the left click to extract the DVD. That's the only thing that worked so the keyboard looks like it's the problem. What do you think?
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

Do you have access to a USB keyboard to try?

QUOTE Thanks
alex999

No, are Mac keyboards USB driven? Then they might be sold in most computer stores. Or do I have to get it from Apple?
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex999 View Post
No, are Mac keyboards USB driven? Then they might be sold in most computer stores. Or do I have to get it from Apple?
Apple Keyboard with Numeric Keypad - Apple Store (U.S.)

Just plugs in, but to test I think you could use any wired USB keyboard, will obviously be some unsupported or different keys.

EDIT: Best Buy should carry compatible wired keyboards

QUOTE Thanks
alex999

OK I just called a nearby shop and they have a selection. I have to try this because I'm shut out of my iMac. I can't get over this it's still new and this happens. At least it responds to the mouse. Thanks for the tip. I'll let you know what happens.

Anyone know how to fix a bootcamp mbr or boot partition?
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex999 View Post
OK I just called a nearby shop and they have a selection. I have to try this because I'm shut out of my iMac. I can't get over this it's still new and this happens. At least it responds to the mouse. Thanks for the tip. I'll let you know what happens.

Anyone know how to fix a bootcamp mbr or boot partition?
Once you can boot from the OSX disk you can use Disk Utility to repartition and reformat the drive.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« My Poor Mac :-( | Mac Pro vs. Macbook Pro »