New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Emac Boot Issues

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

McWBAsh

McWBAsh is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Emac 1GHz

I've just inherited an emac the previous owner said was dead, with a blank screen - already have one so I'm fairly familiar with emacs, and thought if I can resurrect this one it'd be ideal for the kids.

I managed to do a power reset which bought up the apple screen, but it wouldn't boot into the OS. I reinstalled OSX using the install disk, all seemed to install ok, but on restart the screen is freezing on the welcome screen.

Quick question therefore is this likely to be logic board failure, or is there a quick and easy (and cheap) fix for this?

Many thanks in advance for any assistance.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

G'day and welcome to the forums.

First question is the Mac a 1.25GHz model as these have severe capacitor problems which cause freezing as you describe.

http://discussions.apple.com/message...sageID=2071244

Capacitors in that era caused faults with all brands of computers. First sign is a bulging and/or discharging capacitor.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
McWBAsh

G'day Harry - thanks for your reply. Just time to have a look at the emac again and it is indeed a 1.25. I've opened the memory cover and can't see any bulging caps. It starts ok in safe mode though - I'll try disabling the ATI extensions as per that article you linked to and see how I get on.
QUOTE Thanks
McWBAsh

OK, I've deleted the ATI extensions and the emac is running quite happily now - everything else, sound, network, etc., is fine.

Given that it seems very likely to be capacitor problems are there any vendors of replacement boards out there, or is a case of trying to find one on ebay without this issue? While I don't mind switching components in the emac I don't think I could replace capacitors.
QUOTE Thanks
Stuerror

Stuerror is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 15" Late 2011 2.2ghz i7, 8GB RAM, 128GB OCZ-VERTEX4 SSD, 500GB SATA HD

I bought some caps off eBay and replaced them myself. I was having the same problems with mine so I opened it up and had a look and 1 cap had a slight bulge so I replaced and the eMac worked like a dream after that
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« what in the name of Pearl is wrong with this silly emac? | Mac Pro on 4 1080p DVI »