New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Considering iMac for photos, some video - Advice?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

alpinist1

alpinist1 is on a distinguished road

I'm thinking of switching to an iMac (fits my budget) I'm a photographer going pro... and in addtion to photo work I'll need some video editing ability... but nothing majors... just some HD video promo clips, samples etc.

Anyone advise which iMac would work for my needs for the now & future?

Any Photographers out there with input?
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinist1 View Post
I'm thinking of switching to an iMac (fits my budget) I'm a photographer going pro... and in addtion to photo work I'll need some video editing ability... but nothing majors... just some HD video promo clips, samples etc.

Anyone advise which iMac would work for my needs for the now & future?

Any Photographers out there with input?
Any of the current iMacs would be more than suitable. A refurb (essentially a like-new Mac at a discount price) would give you the best value.
My own preference if your budget allows would be any of the 27in iMacs.

Either of these are good bargains and well under $2K

Refurbished iMac 27-inch 3.2GHz Intel Core i3 processor - Apple Store (U.S.)

Refurbished iMac 27-inch 2.8GHz Intel Quad-Core i5 processor - Apple Store (U.S.)

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
IWT

Location: Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
IWT is a jewel in the roughIWT is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2010 27" iMac 16GB RAM, SSD & 1TB IHD (Lion) + 2013 27" iMac Fusion SSD & 3TB IHD, 32GB (Mavericks)

I agree completely with Razormac.

Any iMac would do. Like Razormac, I favour and have, the 27 inch iMac - in my case the i7; but I'm sure the i3 or i5 would be fine.

You should get as much RAM as you can afford because you will surely be running Aperture 3 along with, perhaps, PhotoShop.

I'm biased no doubt, but I prefer Aperture3. I also find iMovie (which comes with OS X) to be more than adequate for all basic and some more complex video editing.

Have fun. I wish you well. The iMac is a winner.

Ian
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Power Mac g5 issue | IMAC freeze »