New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMAC 24 nothing but problems

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

marcopolo

marcopolo is on a distinguished road

I purchased a MAC last year and it had been pretty much problem free until recently. I'm running 10.6.6 and have nothing but crashes at the moment, sometimes daily such as Outlook, Google Chrome, Safari and Firefox crashing.

Also I get your computer must be powered off and on again, right after booting to the GUI, had this a few times.

Any ideas before I give up and go back to my trusty Windows 7 laptop?

Cheers
QUOTE Thanks
indychris

indychris will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
I purchased a MAC last year and it had been pretty much problem free until recently. I'm running 10.6.6 and have nothing but crashes at the moment, sometimes daily such as Outlook, Google Chrome, Safari and Firefox crashing.

Also I get your computer must be powered off and on again, right after booting to the GUI, had this a few times.

Any ideas before I give up and go back to my trusty Windows 7 laptop?

Cheers
First two things I would try:

1) Verify & Repair Permissions

2) Get something like Disk Warrior and repair any directory issues.

Those two things have always taken care of a majority of performance/crashing issues for me.
QUOTE Thanks
marcopolo

I've ran Verify, it failed, so ran repair and that failed.

Haven't tried Disk Warrior as yet
QUOTE Thanks
marcopolo

Well, ran the disk utility from the install DVD and said it could not repair so I guess its a backup and reinstall
QUOTE Thanks
cr1t1cal

cr1t1cal is on a distinguished road

Try disk warrior thats a great little app for these kind of problems a right little god send !
QUOTE Thanks
marcopolo

Is there a free version of it, or is it only available to use if full purchase. I reckon I might have a bad disk all the same but rebuilding can be such a pain.
QUOTE Thanks
cr1t1cal

I think its premium only mate. Sorry....
QUOTE Thanks
marcopolo

Looks like a rebuild then.
QUOTE Thanks
cr1t1cal

Have fun mate ! Id recommend Carbon Copy Cloner as an amazin backup tool if you aint already got one.
QUOTE Thanks
marcopolo

Luckily most of my stuff is on a WD Passport, just need to export from Outlook 2011.

I'm just worried it's a hard error on the HD, something a restore probably won't rectify.
QUOTE Thanks
cr1t1cal

Click on Disk Utility and check your smart status, if it's "verified" your hard drive is fine.
QUOTE Thanks
marcopolo

Yep, verified but why are these issues so hard to repair on a mac, forgive me I'm a Windows techie and these sorts of problems are easily remedied with tools a plenty.

I thought the OS on a MAC was pretty bullet proof.
QUOTE Thanks
cr1t1cal

It is bullett proof ! Disk Warrior would sort it right out ! It just happens sometimes. I've just came from windows to mac little over a year ago, and Ive ran into no more or probably no fewer problems than what I would on a windows PC.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

DiskWarrior whilst a first class program is as dear as a new hard drive and your drive is still under warranty. Seagate etc warrant their drives for a three year period. If it is still within the twelve months take it back to the reseller or Genius Bar.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
marcopolo

I purchased my MAC from John Lewis, Feb 2010 but it came with a 2 year warranty, so I have that to fall back on if required. I've read the 'verified' is not always that reliable as to whether the drive is ok or not. Seen a few suggestions about SMART utility but wondering whether some sort of backup is worthwhile or not and then a restore as I don't want to be re-writing naff data.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« mac mini won't load dvd's -help!?! | Upgrading my 2006 G5 »