New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac G5 - grey screen on boot up

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

CB2011

CB2011 is on a distinguished road

Hi everyone,

I have an iMac G5 running OS X 10.4.8 that can't get passed the grey screen with the apple logo on start up. The fans also ramp up to full blast after a couple minutes. I'm looking for any suggestions. Here's what I've tried:

Unplugged all peripherals
Safe boot doesn't work
Reset NVRAM/PRAM
Reset SMU
Ran Disc Utility - Hard drive had no errors, there were some permissions errors, but these have been fixed and still no improvement.
Apple Hardware Test - no errors found in extended test.

I am totally stumped because this Mac does not have access to the internet, and no software or hardware updates have been made. Any ideas? Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
indychris

indychris will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB2011 View Post
Hi everyone,

I have an iMac G5 running OS X 10.4.8 that can't get passed the grey screen with the apple logo on start up. The fans also ramp up to full blast after a couple minutes. I'm looking for any suggestions. Here's what I've tried:

Unplugged all peripherals
Safe boot doesn't work
Reset NVRAM/PRAM
Reset SMU
Ran Disc Utility - Hard drive had no errors, there were some permissions errors, but these have been fixed and still no improvement.
Apple Hardware Test - no errors found in extended test.

I am totally stumped because this Mac does not have access to the internet, and no software or hardware updates have been made. Any ideas? Thanks.
Disk Warrior is my 'goto' when those types of things happen to me. Though it could be hardware related, by rebuilding directories, I've seen it take care of some wacky behavior.

Alsoft, Inc. Makers of DiskWarrior. The Disk Utility for Mac Disk Repair, Mac Directory Repair, Mac Disk Recovery and Mac Data Recovery
QUOTE Thanks
CB2011

CB2011 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for responding indychris. This was a work computer, and they just opted to replace it altogether. I was able to boot it up in target disk mode and get all the data off that I needed.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac mini grey screen - odd results to testing | Software Update help iMac OS X »