iMac G5 - grey screen on boot up
    Hi everyone,

I have an iMac G5 running OS X 10.4.8 that can't get passed the grey screen with the apple logo on start up. The fans also ramp up to full blast after a couple minutes. I'm looking for any suggestions. Here's what I've tried:

Unplugged all peripherals
    Safe boot doesn't work
    Reset NVRAM/PRAM
    Reset SMU
    Ran Disc Utility - Hard drive had no errors, there were some permissions errors, but these have been fixed and still no improvement.
    Apple Hardware Test - no errors found in extended test.

I am totally stumped because this Mac does not have access to the internet, and no software or hardware updates have been made. Any ideas? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by CB2011 View Post
    Hi everyone,

I have an iMac G5 running OS X 10.4.8 that can't get passed the grey screen with the apple logo on start up. The fans also ramp up to full blast after a couple minutes. I'm looking for any suggestions. Here's what I've tried:

Unplugged all peripherals
    Safe boot doesn't work
    Reset NVRAM/PRAM
    Reset SMU
    Ran Disc Utility - Hard drive had no errors, there were some permissions errors, but these have been fixed and still no improvement.
    Apple Hardware Test - no errors found in extended test.

I am totally stumped because this Mac does not have access to the internet, and no software or hardware updates have been made. Any ideas? Thanks.
    Disk Warrior is my 'goto' when those types of things happen to me. Though it could be hardware related, by rebuilding directories, I've seen it take care of some wacky behavior.

Alsoft, Inc. Makers of DiskWarrior. The Disk Utility for Mac Disk Repair, Mac Directory Repair, Mac Disk Recovery and Mac Data Recovery

Thanks for responding indychris. This was a work computer, and they just opted to replace it altogether. I was able to boot it up in target disk mode and get all the data off that I needed.

Thread Information