New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

PowerMac G5 (late05) 2.3Dualcore issues

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

sabot

sabot will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: "Cypher" Powermac G5 2.3 DualCore QuadroFX4500 23" cinema display

my G5 keeps locking up with Kernel panics & its getting more & more frequent
in the past it has been related to some RAM i had that it didn't like but it had been fine for ages. i tempted fate by saying this the other day & then it all started again

i check the system profiler after every chime just to see if the system is reading on all slots & its been fine. i ran ASD (just a shortened memory test) the other day & the memory came up as good so i did a quick disc utility & repaired a few permissions etc. i ran a full ASD test tonight & it passed on all counts then half hour later something calling itself a double kernel panic!!!
when i tried to restart it just stayed on the black screen & the fans revved up!
tried again & it fired up fine, had a look on system profile & the RAM in the first 2 slots wasn't showing.
switched off & removed the sticks so i'm now using it to see how it performs.
i know in an ideal world you dont leave the inner slots empty but i have heard about people who have had similar problems before & have run their machines like this without issue so i'll give it a go i guess

so far its been on about half an hour without issue
i'm going to fire up a few different applications & get some load on it & see what happens ....

i may be some time.....

of course i am open to suggestions if anybody has any
QUOTE Thanks
MacDude121

MacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram

Could be a number of things causing it to Kernel Panic. Try checking out this link: Resolving Kernel Panics
QUOTE Thanks
sabot

sabot will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: "Cypher" Powermac G5 2.3 DualCore QuadroFX4500 23" cinema display

great link, thanks for that

i'll start to work through it once i get in from work tonight
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« External Optical Drive | Internal Blu Ray Burner »