New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Do i sell my macbook pro for IMac 27

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jonnyuk1133

jonnyuk1133 is on a distinguished road

Hello i got a macbook 15in laptop for christmas and i have recently been look at IMac 27... basically im a desktop lover and i do really fancy it, just wondering what people opinion is on this??? ... i also have another question... is there anyway on getting my PC tower to connect to the IMac screen? ... this would be handy just to flick between the two of them? ...

any information would be great.

Thanks for your time...
QUOTE Thanks
Phacade

Phacade will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 21" 3.6GHz Core i5 iMac, 12GB Crucial RAM

I can't answer the later, but only you can decide if selling one computer to buy another is right for you. Desktops are great. (Generally) more processing power, larger screen, and more apt to a home office environment...but they are landlocked on the desk. You can't unplug on a sunny day and take your Mac with you. Tradeoffs I suppose.

21" 3.6GHz Core i5 iMac "Sputnik" ■ 12GB Crucial RAM ■ Monsoon flat-panel speakers ■ HP P1006 LaserJet printer ■ Full Keyboard ■ Canoscan 9000F flatbed scanner ■ ...and then of course me (being a narcissist, I consider this to be the most important mod).
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyuk1133 View Post
Hello i got a macbook 15in laptop for christmas and i have recently been look at IMac 27... basically im a desktop lover and i do really fancy it, just wondering what people opinion is on this??? ... i also have another question... is there anyway on getting my PC tower to connect to the IMac screen? ... this would be handy just to flick between the two of them? ...

any information would be great.

Thanks for your time...
Since you already have the MBP you may want to consider this

Twelve South BookArc Desktop Stand for Notebooks - Apple Store (U.S.)

along with a good quality 27in Monitor plus Wireless Keyboard.

Probable total investment $400 to $600 which give you a lot of the functionality of the iMac w/o sacrificing the portability you now have.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
Phacade

Phacade will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 21" 3.6GHz Core i5 iMac, 12GB Crucial RAM

^^ What he said. Thats a great solution...best of both worlds.

21" 3.6GHz Core i5 iMac "Sputnik" ■ 12GB Crucial RAM ■ Monsoon flat-panel speakers ■ HP P1006 LaserJet printer ■ Full Keyboard ■ Canoscan 9000F flatbed scanner ■ ...and then of course me (being a narcissist, I consider this to be the most important mod).
QUOTE Thanks
bentharbour

bentharbour has a spectacular aura about

Also, take a look at what you are using the computer for.

Do you need something mobile or is are you okay with a desktop?

I can tell you that, for me personally, I do not need a mobile computer (iPad does the job) and I LOVE my 27" desktop. It is especially great for movies and streaming video. If you play games, the 27" screen is awesome for that as well. So just take a look at your own individual needs/wants.

 15" MBPr (2012): 2.3Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, 256 GB SSD  24" Apple Cinema Display  iPhone 5 16GB Black  iPad 2 16GB White
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Black Screen with Backtrace Exceptions | Imac crashing »