New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

PowerMac G5 VITAL APPS MISSING!?! PLEASE HELP!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

JoshBell1994

JoshBell1994 is on a distinguished road

I accidentally deleted some things without checking what they were (stupidly) and I was wondering if it was possible to get them back by downloading or re-installing OS X 10.5??
Is there ANY way of saving these vitals?

The missing applications include: System preferences, Shutdown, Safari etc..

Please get back to me ASAP!

Thankyou
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshBell1994 View Post
I accidentally deleted some things without checking what they were (stupidly) and I was wondering if it was possible to get them back by downloading or re-installing OS X 10.5??
Is there ANY way of saving these vitals?
You pretty much have to reinstall OS 10.5 (if this is the version you're using). I'm pretty sure "System Preferences: and "Shutdown" are not available as separate individual downloads. Get out your 10.5 install disk...and just do a reinstall...no biggie.

If you don't have an OS 10.5 install disk...then the true cost of this mistake will be realized.

Good luck,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
JoshBell1994

Thanks Nick, No I don't have it, I didn't get them when I bought it from eBay, I just recently sold it and now he want's a full refund even though I don't have the money so I am just seeking advice for something that wasn't my fault? :L

Thanks again
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Thanks Nick, No I don't have it, I didn't get them when I bought it from eBay, I just recently sold it and now he want's a full refund even though I don't have the money so I am just seeking advice for something that wasn't my fault? :L

Thanks again
Ahh...I see. Does this mean that you don't have the computer in your possession to "make things right"...or did you sell it, but haven't shipped it yet?

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

You could try (re)installing the latest combo update for Leopard (10.5) in the hopes that the missing apps have been updated and are part of the update. It's a bit of a long shot but worth a try.

Safari can be downloaded here.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
JoshBell1994

thanks vansmith,

and yes nick, i sent it off, and bought a new computer with the money, now that I don't have the money anymore I cannot give him a refund.. so i can't 'make things right' this is the difficult situation I am in .

and I am more than likely to get bad 'rep' on eBay because of it
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:

and yes nick, i sent it off, and bought a new computer with the money, now that I don't have the money anymore I cannot give him a refund.. so i can't 'make things right' this is the difficult situation I am in
I guess I'm confused why you shipped this computer when you had to have known that it wouldn't run/boot properly with some important OS software/apps missing.

Please don't take this the wrong way (not picking on you)...in post #3 you mentioned that this problem wasn't your fault. But in post #1 you mentioned that you "accidentally deleted some things". So it certainly would seem like you are the responsible person for the problem. Just being honest.

Finally...bad reputation may not be the only negative outcome of this e-Bay transaction. If the buyer paid via Paypal...they can open a dispute...and Paypal will make a decision. If Paypal decides in the buyers favor...you will be forced to repay the buyer their money.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

A possible solution would be to purchase a retail copy of Leopard and send it to the customer. This may be expensive but could be cheaper depending on how much you sold the computer for. This, of course, depends on whether or not this is a suitable solution for both you and the customer.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
JoshBell1994

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
A possible solution would be to purchase a retail copy of Leopard and send it to the customer. This may be expensive but could be cheaper depending on how much you sold the computer for. This, of course, depends on whether or not this is a suitable solution for both you and the customer.
would you mind linking me to the cheapest copy you can find please?
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Amazon $179
PC Monde $199
Ebay Various

Or ring Apple and see what they say . . . . you could get lucky

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
would you mind linking me to the cheapest copy you can find please?
You can usually purchase a full install/retail version of a Mac OS install DVD for $100-$125 on e-Bay...if you're REALLY lucky sometimes less.

As Vansmith mentioned...depending on how much you sold the computer for...this may or may not be a financially viable solution for you (since Powermac G5's usually sell for around $200-$300 on e-Bay)...and it may or may not be acceptable to the buyer of the computer.

Good luck,

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
indychris

indychris will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
You pretty much have to reinstall OS 10.5 (if this is the version you're using). I'm pretty sure "System Preferences: and "Shutdown" are not available as separate individual downloads. Get out your 10.5 install disk...and just do a reinstall...no biggie.

If you don't have an OS 10.5 install disk...then the true cost of this mistake will be realized.

Good luck,

- Nick
Would Pacifist be able to parse out those two as installer packages? I would almost think that System prefs might be it's own package, but I don't know.

I've used Pacifist a number of times in the past to reinstall specific packages, but never those precise ones.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Internal Blu Ray Burner | Wont start or boot up »